Thursday, December 23, 2010

Total Request Offday: A Bunch of Answers

I received a bunch of questions from Awesome Lyn Lyn (AL2). I will knock a few of the quick ones out here.

1) I'd like to see a post(s) about what music you like to do cardio to. My cardio pace is directly impacted by my music selections. I'm always looking to add to my playlist.


I posted my entire playlist a bit ago. It has grown a bit, but remains largely the same. It can be found here.

2) I read a lot about your cardio workouts, zone 2, zone 3 etc. What are you zones? How did you work out to say 50 min in zone 2. Did you do intervals and make them longer? I'm finally able to get my heart rate up to 140-150 (where my trainer wants it), but I can't maintain it yet.


My current zones are:

Zone 1: 135-145
Zone 2: 146-160
Zone 3: 160-170
Zone 4: 170+

I have a hard time answering how to maintain it. I just do. I don't mean to put down that one can't--it simply hasn't been an issue for me. Sometimes it's tough to get my heart rate up, but I increase the [speed|resistance|incline] until I get into the proper zone. That's what the 5 minute warm-up is for. Once there, I maintain the zone by typically maintaining the [speed|resistance|incline]. If I feel that I am too winded, I decrease the speed. If my heart rate goes down, I increase the incline. I find the stamina to be less of an issue when I am moving at a slower speed, but the increase in incline gets my heart rate moving. :)

3) Where do you (and did you when you were heavier) buy workout clothes.


When I first started, I bought all of my workout clothes at JC Penney. I loved shopping there as a plus size. Allow me to tell you why. First of all, there clothes are cute. But, perhaps more importantly to me at the time, a lot of the plus-sized clothes were also available in the regular-sized (?) women's department. What does this mean? Well, it means that if someone compliments me on my outfit (who may also happen to be half my size), I can say, "Oh! I got it at JC Penney. You should go check it out!" and not feel self-conscious.

They have a few different brands in the workout clothes. Two that I really enjoyed were SJB (St. Jon's Bay activewear line) and Xersion. SJB had some super cute tops (like the one featured in this photo) and Xersion has GREAT workout pants.

Now that I am "fit" and "healthy" and waaaaay more "active" I find myself spending the money for the more quality clothing items--the Under Armour, Nike, Reebok, Adidas, North Face, etc... Typically, I can be found at Dick's Sporting Goods. I have some workout clothes from Old Navy as well, simply because I cannot avoid a good deal. Most days at the gym I am in Old Navy pants and an Under Armour top. Or an Old Navy tank and Adidas shorts. I find that when running I want something lightweight that wicks moisture, won't ride up, won't rub in the wrong places, etc... I am willing to pay more for this.

4) What are your favorite pick me ups when you splurge?


Define splurge. :) I have different kinds of splurging:

Healthy Food Splurge: Raspberry Peach smoothie with protein powder
Non-Healthy Food Splurge: Friendly's Reese's Peanut Butter Cup 3-scoop Sundae--two chocolate scoops, one vanilla, no hot fudge, extra peanut butter sauce. :)
Coffee Drink Splurge: Holidays? Pumpkin Latte. Every other time of year? Chai Latte.
Experience Splurge: Full-Body Massage
Stuff Splurge: CLOTHES! Workout clothes, business clothes, dresses, cute clothes, pajamas, whatever!
Thinking of Other People Splurge: Buying anything penguin-related for Miss Jackson. Cannot help myself.

Full Body Massage tomorrow (see experience splurge!). No workout!!! Merry Christmas Eve Eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment