Friday, December 10, 2010

Man-Land Citizenship

Today was the last lifting day of Devon's vacation week!!! I am so excited for his vacation to be over!!! I have so much to talk to him about! I am keeping a mental list. :)

This was the assignment:

Hack Squats x 3s x 10r @ 270lbs
DB Step Ups x 3s x 10r @ 30-35lbs (35 lb DBs)
Cable Pull-Throughs x 3s x 10r @ 40-50lbs (40 lbs, 1 set; 50 lbs, 2 sets)
Kneeling Leg Curls x 3s x 10r @ 40-50lbs (50 lbs, 2 sets; 60 lbs, 1 set)
Bent-over DB Rows x 3s x 10r @ 30-35lbs (35 lb DBs)
Dips for Chest x 3s x 10r @ 40-50lbs (52 lbs, 46 lbs, 40 lbs assistance--decreased each set)
Close-Grip Pulldowns x 3s x 10r @ 50-60lbs (60 lbs)
Seated Shoulder Press-FreeMotion x 3s x 10r @ 30-40lbs (40 lbs)
Barbell Preacher Biceps Curls x 3s x 10r @ 25-35lbs (35 lb BB)
Standing Cable Rope Triceps Pushdowns x 3s x 10r @ 20-30lbs (30 lbs)


I really tried to push it today. I accidentally went too light on the first set of pull-throughs, but fixed it. I also went ABOVE Devon's preset range on the last set of the kneeling leg curls. This may not seem too big, but it is. I frequently don't push myself harder than Devon tells me too. This is for two major reasons: 1) I am lazy; and 2) I think devon knows what is best and don't want to hurt myself. In this case, I was quite comfortable with the 50 lbs, so bumped it up. Small victory, but a victory nonetheless. If I am being honest with myself, I probably could've gone to at least 65 lbs on the close grip lat pulldowns and to the 35 lb barbell on the preacher curls. But that would have been really hard. :) If it were a friend lifting Monday, I would have. Next time...

Also, I noticed something today. I am very comfortable in Man-Land. This has been the case for quite some time, but I hadn't specifically noted it. I no longer fear that I will do something to tick a big, burly man off or make myself look like an idiot. I feel like a permanent resident of sorts. Maybe someday I can naturalize. :)

I walked into Man-Land today and was the only female there. It's Friday, so the gym is pretty empty--there were maybe 10 men there. More females showed up as my workout progressed, but when I first got there it was just me. I secretly love the fact that I confidently trot around there with my pink and grey velcro sneakers, hot pink under armor shirt and pig-tails and my head bobbing to the Top 40 hits on my iPod. Oh, and I should add that I get some priceless looks when some of the guys see how much weight I load onto the big, man machines. They don't see it coming... ::overflowing with pride::

Next workout: cardio with AHH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment