Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I Didn't See It Coming...

Today I had a session with ABD. Part-way through, I was worried I wouldn't have much to post--I was wrong.

The lifting (most 3 sets, 10 reps):

45° Leg Press: 360 lbs, 450 lbs, 540 lbs
Seated Leg Extension + Hold: 100 lbs, 105 lbs, 110 lbs
Seated Leg Curls + Hold: 115 lbs, 120 lbs, 125 lbs
Standing Leg Curls: 25 lbs, 30 lbs, 35 lbs (each leg)
One DB Row: 30 lb DB, 35 lb DB, 40 lb DB
Incline BB Bench Press: 100 lbs, 110 lbs, 120 lbs (Pay attention to this. It is AWESOME. I will explain later.)
Assisted Chin-Ups: 85 lbs assistance
Standing Military Press: 50 lbs, 60 lbs, 60 lbs, 70 lbs (4 sets)


Some explanations.

1) Incline Barbell Bench Press Amazingness: I don't recall if I ever posted this or not, so I apologize if this is a repeat. I was telling a guy at work about how I can bench 95 lbs with a certain amount of pride. He erupted into laughter and mocked me stating that you should be able to bench 150% of your body weight and I don't *look* like I weigh in the 60s. Burn. I told Devon and Devon said he was an idiot because *men* should be able to bench 150% of their body weight and *women* (that's me!) should aim for 75%. Weeeeelllllllll, recall that my healthy body weight is 160 lbs. So 75% is...yup, carry the one...120 lbs. WHICH I CAN BENCH PRESS. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was *very* excited to have reached this *very* important milestone. Devon did give me one "Good job, Corman," but nothing like how he should have been. This was cause to celebrate and he was not near excited enough...I let him know this.

2) Moving onto the Standing Military Press: Devon grabbed the 50 lb barbell for me to press. I complained it was too heavy (just to complain, it was totally fine). I did my first set fine. Then Devon got the 60 lb barbell. I whined and asked why he didn't get the 55 lb barbell (which some old guy was using). He looked at the old guy and said, "Too bad, 60 lbs it is." I did my second set and thought he was going to go to 70 lbs. But he did not. I questioned him as to why? He said it wasn't 'safe' for me to do that much weight. I heard, "You cannot handle this much weight." Which was unacceptable. So I gave him a very hard time. He made me do set 3 with the 60 lb BB. I kicked its butt--cause all *I* do...is win. I then talked smack to him about how I *dominated* his pansy third set. Devon put his tough guy face on and told me we were going to do a fourth set. I said bring it. He put the 60 lb BB away. I asked why. He said I was doing the fourth set with the 70 lb BB. I said, "Fine," (with every bit of attitude you know I've got). Then I proceeded to DOMINATE the fourth set. And I held onto the barbell Devon was trying to put away until he would acknowledge my awesomeness verbally. He refused. As you may imagine, he won this battle with his big, beefy man muscles. But I had the victory--it was clear. This was the end of the session so we went to the personal training desk to wrap up, where Lizzie the Dietitian (LTD) and Body Builder Joe (BBJ) were hanging out. I said, "Lizzie, Joe. Devon was WRONG and I was RIGHT!!! Tell them Devon." And I see now, that this was my mistake. Devon threw his arm around me (to hold me there and stop me from moving), then YELLED louder than I have EVER heard him speak before: "ATTENTION! ATTENTION! EVERYONE IN THE GYM! LISTEN UP! I NEED YOUR ATTENTION!" At this point, my face is a shade of pink. "THIS IS MY CLIENT, ERIN CORMAN." There goes deniability. "TODAY, SHE STANDING MILITARY PRESSED 70 POUNDS...FOR THE FIRST TIME!" Face is red now...fire engine red. "SHE IS AWESOME!" Ok...a little mortified, but I think he is done. He is letting me go. Oh no! Why is he grabbing my wrists?!?!?!? Why are both of my hands above my head?!?!?!? And then Devon did something I *NEVER* saw coming. With MY hands raised high in the hair he began to sing (to the actual tune) at the top of his lungs: "AND THEY STAY THERE! AND THEY STAY THERE!" from the song, All I Do is Win.

As I told Devon: Congratulations, sir, you won this round.

Next workout: cardio tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment