Saturday, February 20, 2010

Off Day Offerings: Olympic-Sized Workout!

Hello Blog Readers!

I am testing out a new idea of having an informative blog post on my rest day. I may not be working out, but I am still working for you. :) These may include interesting workout routines, health & fitness products, other blogs/websites or diet information. Now, onto today's posting!

Olympic-Sized Workout!

My friend, Lynn, emailed me about Apolo Anton Ohno's RIDICULOUS workout routine! The February 22, 2010 issue of Sports Illustrated mentioned it in the end of an article highlighting the Olympic superstar. The full article can be found here. But I will post the highlights here for your reading enjoyment (or horror, as the case may be...).

He does:

--1000lb leg presses, one leg at a time
--hops stairs sideways for 10 minutes while bent over at the waist
--400lb single leg squats (over his 15 week training program, these progressed from 225lbs)
--runs 30-minute progressions on the treadmill, at times alternating 30-second bursts at 14 mph with 60-second rests at 8 mph

"Training to the breaking point is like some psychotic elation," says Ohno. "Lactic acid is my friend."

His trainer said that he passed the 900-mile mark of treadmill progressions two weeks ago.


Wowsas. That is one CRAZY workout routine!!! I run at 5 mph and leg press 150 lbs...with *both* legs. For some comparison... As Lynn said: ' Ouch! I'll keep this in mind the next time I see Liz.' I will also remember this next time I think ABD is being too rough. Who am I kidding? No I won't... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment