Sunday, February 28, 2010

I am Officially an Unoffical Sprint Triathlete!

Yes! Today was the informal indoor sprint triathlon with my dear, dear friend from Virginia: Rebecca!!!!

'What is an informal indoor sprint triathlon?' you ask. Well, it is when there is no real race or competition, just two (or more or less, so long as the number is greater than zero) people who get together to perform the activities involved in a sprint triathlon, but they do it indoors. Our game plan was:

1/2 mile swim (in a lap pool)
20K bike ride (on a spinning cycle)
5K run (on a treadmill)


We allowed for a lot of time and a lot of breaks, since it was informal--we could do whatever we wanted! We had massages scheduled for 3pm, so we arrived at 10am to allow ample time. ABD modified my food plan for Saturday and today to fuel me properly. (Hilariously sad side note: Devon told me with some excitement, as though I'd be thrilled, that I get more carbs on Saturday to fuel me for Sunday. Do you know what 'more carbs' means to Devon? 1/2 cup of whole grain pasta. Really, Devon?!?! Awesome.) So, we arrived and went right to business in the pool!

Here is the rundown of the day, complete with exact times (Yes, mom, exact times...What was it you called me? A geek???):

Swimming--total time: 28:57
Breakdown:
Lap 1: BS, 1:30
Lap 2: BS, 1:45
Lap 3: BS, 1:49
Lap 4: BS, 1:47
Lap 5: BS, 1:48
Lap 6: BS, 1:47
Lap 7: BS, 1:51
Lap 8: BS, 1:55
Lap 9: EB, 2:03
Lap 10: EB, 2:03
Lap 11: BS, 1:37
Lap 12: BS, 1:47
Lap 13: BS, 1:49
Lap 14: BS, 1:56
Lap 15: 1/2 FS, 1/2 EB, 1:47
Lap 16: BS, 1:37

Break (shower, drink fastfuel): 23:39

Biking--12.4 miles (20K): 32:53

Break (wait for workout buddy to finish, fastfuel): 16:56

Running--3.1 miles (5K): 37:37

Total Triathlon Time (including breaks): 2:20:04
Total Triathlon Time (workouts only): 1:39:27


I am *very* happy with the results and am very proud of myself and Rebecca! Rebecca has not been going to the gym since April of last year (like some of us) and she totally held her own. Fierce... Since my friend (and #1 fan) Lynn likes it when I list goals I reach or things I've done for future encouragement, here are some things:

1) Last time (the only other time) I swam 1/2 mile I did it in 30:25. I shaved 1:28 off my time. New PR!
2) Last time (the only other time) I used the bike was this past Tuesday. I went 10.1 miles in 30 minutes. This time at the 30 minute mark I had gone 11.2 miles.
3) I ran the entire 5K! I am somewhat confused by the slow time because I usually run/walk intervals and have done that in 37:23. Today was 37:37, running the whole way. My strategy: do like I did on last Wednesday's cardio on the elliptical, 7 minutes zone 3, 3 minutes zone 4, repeat. I didn't have my HR monitor, but went by feeling. I did:
7:00, 4.5 mph, incline 2.0
3:00, 5.0 mph, incline 2.0
7:00, 4.5 mph, incline 2.0
3:00, 5.0 mph, incline 2.0
5:00, 4.5 mph, incline 1.0
5:00, 5.0 mph, incline 1.0
At this point, I kept the speed at 5.0 mph and dropped the incline to 0.0. When I got to 2.5 miles, I bumped the speed up to 6.0 mph and at 3.0 miles, I bumped the speed up to 7.0 mph. Finish strong!!!! This is why I am perplexed by the slow finish time...but whatever! I am thrilled!!!!


We finished much earlier than we thought, so we went to Dick's Sporting Goods and Old Navy where I spent *waaaaaaaay* to much money but got some good workout clothes (and regular clothes). Sort of a big deal for me: I bought a couple pairs of running shorts. And I feel comfortable wearing them! Win!!!

We then went back to Lifetime for our massages but ate our lunch first in the LifeCafe. Since I bring my own food *everywhere* I needed a microwave. Luckily, Devon was in the LifeCafe!!! I think he loves that I keep 'bumping into him' there. ;) I asked if he'd go microwave our food in the staff break room. He did. Aww, what a nice trainer... I offered to bring him a treat on Tuesday. He asked for a silent Erin that shows up ready to work. Oooo...steep, ABD. But I am going to try. And, thanks to Rebecca's ingenious creativity, I am making another t-shirt... ;)

Next workout: sole sister run with my girls tomorrow! Then maybe Latin Fusion tomorrow night!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment