Thursday, July 29, 2010

I Came. I Climbed. I Conquered.

Today, Larry took my indoor rock climbing! And I met some of his friends--Ben, Simon and Andy. And I met Simon's new rock climbing friend, Keith. It was a party. As many of you know, I hate meeting new people. But these peoples were pretty decent. And two of them are British, so they can do no wrong in my eyes. None at all. Not even when one of them called my forearms "big". I immediately asked him if he just called me fat... He denied... But I know better.

I did a 5.4, 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7 on the smaller wall side (Larry says they are about 35 feet) and a 5.6 on the taller wall side (no idea how high). I am really proud of me! Even when I really, really wanted to give up on the 5.7, I finished it! Larry is a great coach telling me where to put my feet where and when. Also, the further along I went the less he coached--which I didn't like while I was doing it, but loved it when I was done. I'd look down with a confused face and a bit of terror and he'd flashed me a thumbs up, i.e. "I already told you I wasn't talking you through this one, Erin..." We high-fived after every climb! Also, the ride down is not nearly as scary as I thought it would be--given I don't look down. :) I tried bouldering at the end, but refused to go higher than I felt comfortable falling from since there is no harness or belay involved. Larry and the boys judged me and called me a "pansy". It's true...

Larry and his friends are...what's the word?...SICK. I am new to this, but very impressed with what I saw. They made 5.11bs look like they weren't no thang. Impressive... Also, their bouldering skills rock. At the end Larry did some one-armed pull-ups to show off. (Yes, this *actually* happened.) That was also impressive. I showed him how pitiful I look *attempting* to do a two-armed pull-up. I think he was amused.

I am told I will be sore tomorrow. We'll see... :)

Tomorrow is a rest day! I think Saturday may be too due to my busy schedule, but Sunday will definitely be lifting and perhaps some cardio too...

No comments:

Post a Comment