Monday, July 12, 2010

Sing It, Flock of Seagulls!

Like Michael "Mike" Score (seriously, someone actually wrote that name out that way, check out the Wikipedia page...) sang in his international hit single: "I RAN"!!!!!!! However, I did *not* run so far away... I ran on a treadmill. I ran. I RAN. I RAN!!!!! ::grin so big it cannot fit inside your computer::

I tried out my new heel cups. They're weird. Somewhat difficult to get my foot *in* the shoe without folding the gel heel cup over onto itself--HOWEVER, once my foot was in the shoe properly and it was tied up all tight, my feet enjoyed the squishiness.

I stepped on the treadmill. Took a few deep breaths. Gave me feet (in general), my right heel, my legs and my lungs a little talking to. You see, I was given the ok to run again (by a medical professional). I was informed (by the same medical professional) that running will not put me at risk for a more serious injury. What does this all mean? I WAS RUNNING. If it didn't hurt, great! If it did, too bad so sad--I'm running.

The marathon training plan for today was 3 miles, so that was what I was going to do. I set the treadmill for 12-minute miles to ease back into the swing of things. I started at an incline of 2.0%. My heel hurt after about a minute, but it wasn't terrible. For the entire time it hurt more and less, the pain sort of ebbed and flowed. It was never *that* bad. Just annoying. After mile 1, 12:00 in, I lowered the incline to 1.0% and I did the same after mile 2, 24:00 in. Also, for mile 3 I bumped the speed up gradually from 5.0 mph to 5.5 mph.

Overall, the 3 miles took me 35:17.

I then cooled down for 5 minutes. Sometimes I skip cool down and stretching. Not anymore. I had a taste of not being able to run and train--from now on, it's prevention all the way! Speaking of prevention, I am currently in my 20-minutes-on-20-minutes-off-ice-my-heel session (like my medical professional told me to). :)

Next workout tomorrow: lifting session with Devon!

P.S. Did I mention how happy I am that I ran today!?!?!!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment