Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Random Pre-Vacation Musing #3

Spotlight on Warrior Dash!

On October 9 & 10, 2010 the Mid-Atlantic Warrior Dash is happening! I've signed up for the Saturday one, and so have some of my friends: Lois, AHH, Ajay and Julie!!!

So, what is this Warrior Dash you speak of, Erin? Let me tell you. Better yet, I'll tell you what *they* say:

Welcome to America’s most insane race. Warrior Dash lands in the Mid-Atlantic for the first time in 2010 where eleven obstacles from hell await along this 3.15 mile course. Are you a warrior?


Yes, website, yes I am. :)

What are these 11 obstacles from you-know-where? The list:

1. Hay Fever: hustle up and over giant straw bales
2. Vertical Bounds: scale giant steps
3. Breathless Bog: plunge underwater and weave between submerged logs
4. Warrior Wall: conquer the wooden barricade
5. Wolf Spider Web: thread through the tangling ropes
6. Knee High Hell: speed step through hundreds of tires
7. Cliffhanger: rappel down a steep ravine
8. Tunnels of Terror: burrow through the black tunnels
9. Black Forest: forge your way through the uncharted forest
10. Warrior Roast: leap over the warrior fires
11. Muddy Mayhem: scramble beneath barbed wire as your near the finish


Oh my. I don't even want to *think* about numbers 3, 7 and 10! I have a no-swimming-in-non-chlorinated-water policy (see #3). I don't have a fear of *heights* so much as falling to my death and/or painful injury (see #7). Burns hurt (see #10). Not sure I am capable of number 4. Other than that, bring it! Just kidding--bring it for ALL of it!!!! :)

You can skip any obstacle you want--but if you do, you cannot win. I am not going for winning, so that does not affect me. But I also have a healthy ego (::grin::) and do not want to skip any. I am going to go for it!!!

I looked at photos from previous races--to say people dress up is an understatement. There are many people dressed as vikings and other tough things. I saw some Adam and Eve/Nature pairs. Many men wear tu-tus. I saw some girls in prom-like dresses. Lots of camo. All COVERED in mud, of course.

I have some time to think about what I will wear. I am leaning toward bad 80s bridesmaid dress (and trying to force AHH to join me), but it will be HOT, so maybe something more compatible with that...

Some guidelines from the website on what NOT to bring:

No outside alcoholic beverages or food will be allowed.
No 'real' warrior weapons and/or firearms will be allowed.
No glass containers will be allowed.
No poor attitude will be allowed... and a clean-shaven chin is highly discouraged!


Mental note: leave my lance, flanged mace and zweihander at home. (Confession/Explanation: I had to google search 'medieval weaponry' to get that list. I really am not a LARPer...I promise...)

Saturday is sold out, but I believe there are spots available for the Sunday race...*IF* you think you have what it takes!!! ::sound of the gauntlet hitting the floor::

No comments:

Post a Comment