Friday, July 2, 2010

Off Day Offerings: Crossfit Blogs

About a year ago (give or take), my friend Amber tipped me off to some Crossfit blogs. Even further back in time, a friend of mine suggested I try the Crossfit workouts each day. "It's easy!" he said, "Just do what you can." HA. I remember it well and--thanks to their archives--was able to look it up! It was 9 August 08:

Five rounds for time of:
155 pound Hang squat clean, 9 reps
15 ft Rope climb, legless, 3 ascents


Riiiiiight. Like I can climb a 15 ft rope (found where exactly?!?!?) ONE TIME legless--let alone THREE TIMES!. Oh. And let us not forget to do it 'for time'. I laughed at my crazy, crazy friend. But I also grew quite fascinated in Crossfit. What is it? Would I ever be capable of doing it??? (At this point, I had not started my get-healthy-lifestyle-change yet.)

Once I started working out and dieting with ZTT, Crossfit kept coming back up in conversations with friends. ZTT hates Crossfit. He thinks it is not designed for the average person who tries to do it and therefore pushes people to train unhealthily and injure themselves (I think...). Also, ABD is not a fan. But doesn't seem to dislike it as much as ZTT. So, my dreams of one-day completing a Crossfit workout (at a local affiliate) and being able to hack it and look like I fit in are somewhat killed (at least on the very, very, very back burner) for the sake of attaining my healthier goals (like losing 91 pounds and *hopefully* running a marathon!!!).

Having said ALL of that, I really like some of the Crossfit blogs I have found. I am sure there are many I have not found... But one of my favorite blogs is Byers Gets Diesel, renamed to Urban Gets Diesel, and subsequently terminated and her posts have moved to Whole Nine. Some posts I like are listed below (be warned, she does not censor her blog posts like I do...):

The Byers Guide to Eating Dirty (Part I)
The Byers Guide to Eating Dirty (Part II)
Burpees vs. Cookies -- Nobody Wins
The Healthy/F-Off Scale
Got Pull-up?

And the video in this post just impresses the crap out of me.

The other blog I have bookmarked and peruse occasionally (quite occasionally...I haven't looked at it in forever actually) is The Clothes Make the Girl. It was linked to once from Byers Gets Diesel, so I checked it out. There was one AWESOME post with amazing affirmations that I loved and reposted to my blog.

I think that's enough for now! Happy blog-reading!!!! And stay fit using whatever method is right for you--which may or may not involve crazy Crossfit workouts (which I still cannot really do...)! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment