Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Shh! I'm Training...

Today was an ABD day! And it was an awesome one at that. Actually, it was an awesome day all around. And *you* get the joy of hearing all about it!

My AWESOME day began with a trip to the doctor. I went to a new doctor because I dropped my old doctor like a bad habit. I called yesterday because when I stand up frequently I get a touch light-headed and sometimes my vision goes blurry. I close my eyes and am fine in a second or two, but people said I should get it checked out, so whatever, I called. My doctor's office told me he was not taking appointments for the next THREE WEEKS. I asked what I should do. Do they have another doctor to refer me to? I explained my symptoms and they told me that I should go to CVS Minute Clinic. ::stunned silence:: New doctor it is. I went to my friend's doctor's practice. I like my new doctor! She seems capable (even though her name is Mollie--yes, with an 'ie') and she is super nice. She told me that I am "a little too healthy"!!! Those are words I never imagined hearing! Ever. Basically, my blood pressure is healthy but in the lower end of the healthy range, so when I stand up my body needs that second or two to recalibrate, if you will. She suggested I drink more water. I told her I drink 12-16 glasses a day. She told me that I needed MORE SALT in my diet. Wow! Another thing I never thought I'd hear from a doctor. She suggested I drink a G2 after every workout I do to replenish electrolytes. Another reason I like Dr. Mollie is that after she commented on the speed of my talking (like *everyone* who meets me feels the need to), she smiled and said she likes it--she even thinks it is fun to try and see if she can type the patient history notes in as fast as I say them. I love her! For some data points on my blood pressure:

In April 2009, it was recorded as 140/90.
In August 2009, it was recorded as 118/70.
Today, it was recorded as 100/64.


I am very excited with my healthiness!!!! Even if it causes me to get a little light-headed. :) I am following up with Dr. Mollie in 6 weeks and I am getting a check up from an ophthalmologist just to be sure something else isn't wrong. Low blood pressure FTW!!!!

Next part of my AWESOME day was going to the gym for my ABD appointment. At the front desk, they swipe your membership card and your photo pops up on their computer screen. I had my photo retaken when Amanda F. joined (which I think was around August of last year?) because I had lost the weight and wanted an updated photo. Today, the front desk girl told me that I looked so good and have obviously lost a lot of weight! Unsolicited feedback FTW!!!

Moving on, I weighed in today. THREE MORE POUNDS! That's 77 total... KICK BUTT WEIGHT LOSS FTW!!!

Now for the good stuff. My session with ABD. As I mentioned in previous posts, I was treating Devon to a "good client" session where I am "silent" and I "work". I emailed him the agenda of things I wanted him to address during the session and I brought a print out for him in case he didn't read it ahead of time. I even made a t-shirt to show my dedication:

It says: SHH! IM TRAINING (if you cannot read it) in pink glitter letters, naturally. So, I gave ABD the print out and he (in true ABD form) placed it face down on the bottom of his clipboard. However, as we were walking to go lift he began addressing the agenda topics. Yes, fans, ABD memorized my list. My heart was so happy!!! Here are his responses to my agenda items:

a) Am I your favorite client yet?
ANSWER: You're my favorite client named Erin. (Laaaaaame.)
b) A nice man from work has decided to take me to a gala on Saturday night. I have purchased an *adorable* dress that makes me look kind of hot to wear to said event. He is spending a decent amount on my ticket. Can I eat the food there? The event is catered by Carrabba's and includes: Filet Marsala (steak), Cavatappi Amatriciana (pasta w/ a spicy tomato sauce), Caeser Salad, and "Chocolate Dream" dessert. There is also unlimited beer, wine and soda. I am not allowed to drink alcohol. Can I have soda? What food items can I have and in what portions? The event begins at 6:30, so food will probably be served between 7 and 7:30.
ANSWER: Filet (5 oz.), salad (unlimited). (No pasta, no soda, no dessert. No fun. But yum, STEAK!) Additionally, he referred to it as my 'date'. I told him it wasn't a date. He told me when someone buys you a nice dinner it's a date. He said he wouldn't buy a girl dinner unless it was for a date. I told him he would do it for me. He was speechless. ::grin::
c) Although I will be "focused" please give me the head's up if you want me to tell you all about my new dress...it's adorable. :)
ANSWER: "This was optional." (At this point, I proceeded to tell him about it anyways. It's *so* cute!)
d) Feel free to tell me how awesome I am for rocking my informal indoor sprint triathlon.
ANSWER: You did well on the triathlon. I am actually kind of proud of you. (I think this is a high compliment from ABD...I think...)
e) Don't forget to assign me my post-workout cardio.
ANSWER: Zone 2, 30 minutes. (Boooo-ring...)
f) Next week will be our last scheduled session. When would you like to schedule the next sessions and how far out would you like to go: 2 or 3 months?
ANSWER: We are switching to 1 hour sessions every other week.
g) Please provide feedback on the races/events I emailed you about on Sunday.
ANSWER: He mentioned that he needed to answer this one...but then never did...will email him a reminder. :)
h) Can we set up a fun trainer prize system? Allow me to explain. I would like to set up 'deals' where if *I* do something of your choosing, *you* do something of my choosing. The terms would all be agreed upon before anyone did anything. I propose that you give me an exercise-related challenge or goal and if/when I meet it, *you* come to Latin Fusion with me. :) I can already tell you love it. Are you down?
ANSWER: "No Latin Fusion." But he is willing to do other type "deals". Any ideas???
i) Please comment on my doctor's suggestion of drinking G2 after workouts.
ANSWER: Yes, he approves. Not excited about it, but approves.


Here is the lifting routine we did (pairings):

BB Front Squats: 65 lbs, 10 reps; 70 lbs, 10 reps; 75 lbs 10 reps
DB Saggrittal Lunge For/Rev: 20 lb dumbells, 10 reps each side, 3 sets

Incline BB Bench Press: 75 lbs, 10 reps, 3 sets
Standing Band Press: P (no idea what that means), 10 reps, 3 sets

AA Lat Pulldown: 35 lbs each side, 10 reps, 3 sets
Prone AA DB Rows: 25 lb dumbells, 10 reps, 3 sets

Seated Arnold DB Presses: 25 lb dumbbells, 10 reps, 3 sets
DB Side Raises: 12.5 lb dumbbells, 10 reps, 3 sets


I did my very best to be focused and work hard and not chit chat with him during the sessions. I find that I am doing more of the work and he is doing less. What I mean by this is with the BB front squats, for example, typically he'd help me lift and rotate the bar, then spot me. I lift and rotate and rack. This is new. I also feel like I do the bench press with much less assistance from him. WIN! It was actually an awesome session, but--as I told ABD on my way out--don't get used to this Erin...this was a one-time deal. :) I did make him laugh quite hard two times. I maintain that I am his favorite. And...I think I officially ::heart:: ABD. He was all funny and nice today. Still kicked my butt. But nice. I guess "silent" Erin who comes to "work" makes a happy ABD...

Next workout tomorrow! Some sort of cardio...

No comments:

Post a Comment