Sunday, March 7, 2010

Off Day Offerings: Why THIS Time?

I've had a lot of conversations recently with various people about *why* I have seen success in my efforts for a smaller, healthier me. It's a hard thing to nail down. This is not my first attempt to 'slim down'.

In college I decided to try the Weigh Down Workshop method--a faith-based diet plan. The short version of what it is about is: God created our bodies to crave what we need. Train yourself to identify true body cravings from mental cravings. When hungry, eat what you are craving, stop when you are full. I lost 15 pounds.

I gained that 15 back and then some.

The summer after I moved to Maryland (2004), I did Taebo five times a week without altering my diet at all. I lost 20 pounds.

I gained that 20 back and then some.

In 2005, I started a First Place Small Group at my church. Again, this is a faith-based diet plan that has a small group for accountability, daily bible studies and nutritional/exercise workbooks with information to help you with the entire process. I lost 35 pounds.

I gained that 35 back and then some.

That brings me to April 2009 when I joined Lifetime Fitness and began working with a personal trainer. I have lost 77 pounds.

And I am still losing.

So, the natural question that people ask me is: Why THIS time, Erin? What made you successful? I am not sure I can answer that. But I have thought a lot about it.

First, I'm a single professional. I'd like to say that it is 'easier' (I don't like that word, but I can't think of a better one) for me than someone who has other people in their life to worry about--e.g. spouse, children, etc... My time is my own. My money is my own. I can cook crazy diet food and not worry about anyone else having to eat it. I can choose to spend 6 days a week at the gym without having to make my husband handle all of the children's needs, etc... I can spend as much money as I want on fitness/exercise related memberships, clothing and equipment without taking that money away from something the family could use it for. That certainly helps.

Second, I have the expert advice and guidance of a trained professional: ABD (and prior to January 2010, ZTT). I am certain that without them I would not have come this far this fast. I am not saying I couldn't have done it--I think that they help me to be more efficient in my weight loss/endurance building.

Third, I have the most amazing network of supporters I have ever seen outside of a world crisis scenario. My friends, family and co-workers have not only stood behind me, but have carried me when necessary (those few, few times it was necessary). I have friends and family who get EVERY blog post emailed to them and respond directly to most, I have friends and family who read the blog regularly and comment on entries, I have facebook nations who not only read the notes but comment the nicest most encouraging things and I have a friend who makes sure I stick to my diet plan with wit and motivational words. I am confident that this has been key for my success.

Fourth, I had a life-threatening illness that rocked my world (and not in a good way). I learned the painful, expensive way that I am not invincible. I need to get my health in check.

Maybe it is a combination of all of these things. Maybe it is just *time*. Maybe it has to do with me growing as a person and healing some of the emotional wounds that made me pack on the weight as an offensive defense mechanism (I'll post THAT explanation another time). I really don't know.

And I don't think there is one thing for everyone. I think that everyone needs to go through their own stuff and come to their own *time*. I just know that I am so so so so so happy with how far I have come and feel amazing and wish that all my dear friends who want it to be their time will be able to experience something similar. :)

1 comment:

  1. and some of us care enough to comment on your actual blog post about how awesome you're doing.

    which is pretty awesome.

    but you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete