Sunday, April 4, 2010

CardioPoint Results and Lifting

I had my CardioPoint retest today. This is the test where I get a reading of what my current heart rate zones are. Your heart rate zones change over time, especially when you exercise as much as I do, so they recommend retesting once every 3-4 months. My last test was December 2, 2009 with ZTT. Click here to see my blog post with a break down of those results. Here are the results from today:

Peak VO2: 39.5 (previously 36.9)
Peak HR: 185 (previously 175)
VO2 at Threshold: 38 (previously 35.6)
Heart Rate at Threshold (Anaerobic Threshold): 184 (previously 175)

Hard Core Liz says that an increase is VO2 is good. This data supports my claims of awesomeness.

The new zones based on the test:

Zone 1 - Active Recovery: 152-162 (previously 152-162: remained the same)
Zone 2 - Aerobic Development: 162-173 (previously 162-168)
Zone 3 - Aerobic Endurance: 173-184 (previously 168-175)
Zone 4 - Anaerobic Endurance: 184-194 (previously 175-185)
Zone 5 - Speed/Power: 194-204 (previously 185-195)


Ugh. This means I have to work harder. The good news is that HCL wants me to improve the percentage of fat calories burned and this involves low zone workouts--I like the sound of that! My fat-burning efficiency actually decreased from the last test!!! I will have 3 cardio workouts per week (This entire plan is pending ABD approval--but he should approve it for two reasons: 1) HCL is his superior (::grin::) and 2) it means he no longer has to keep giving me cardio routines, he'd only have to give me lifting):

1) Gradual Build (designed to increase sub-zone 1 efficiency): The entire workout is at a speed of 3.5 mph on the treadmill. I do the following inclines for 5 minutes each: 2.0%, 4.0%, 6.0%, 8.0%, 10.0%, 12.0%, 14.0%, 9.0%. I will do this Monday nights because, as HCL informed me today, my Sole Sisters run is a 'jog' and doesn't count as cardio. Oh, Hard Core Liz...you are so hard core...

2) Base Builder (designed to increase zones 1, 2 and 3 efficiency): This can be done on the treadmill, elliptical or step-mill. It is a 5 minute warm-up followed by {2 minutes, zone 1; 2 minutes, zone 2; 1 minute, zone 3} 10x, then a 5 minute cool-down. I will do these on Wednesdays.

3) Zone 2 Workout (no idea what this is designed to do...): This will be my long runs on Friday or Saturday until the half marathon (April 24). After the half, I guess it will just be an hour in zone 2 on any piece of equipment I want?


HCL also informed me that on the step-mill, I get to lower my HR zones by 7-10 bpm. To me that means subtract 10. WIN! I also asked Liz about the prospect of doing a full marathon this fall. She thinks that since I am doing a half marathon now I could possibly over train if I tried to do a full in the fall. I don't *totally* understand what she is saying. She said that we will talk after the half and she will advise me based on how it goes. I will try to understand her explanations at that point. :)

Next, I lifted. Here is the routine from ABD (all supersets):

Walking Lunges x 3s x 10r @ 35-40lbs (I used 35 lb DBs.)
Drop Set Seated Machine Leg Press x 3s x 10r @ 200-180-160lbs (Cybex)

Barbell Deadlifts x 3s x 10r @ 80 lbs (not a stiff-leg dead lift. It will look like a squat, but holding the weight in front of you)
Lying Leg Curls x 3s x 10r @50 lbs

Smith Machine Incline Barbell Bench Press x 3s x 10r @55-65lbs (I did 55 lbs.)
Flat Alternating Arm Dumbbell Chest Press x 3s x 10r @ 20-25lbs (I used 25 lb DBs...maybe too heavy. I did them, but my left arm dropped a DB on my chest mid-set 2. I had some control and it didn't really even hurt--but it happened...)

Pull-downs x 3s x 10r @ 60lbs
Alternating Arm Bent-over DB Rows x 3s x 10r @ 25-30lbs (I used 25 lb DBs.)

Rear Delt Flyes x 3s x 10r @ 50-60lbs (I did 50 lbs.)
Dumbbell Front Raises x 3s x 10r @ 10-15lbs (I used 12.5 lb DBs.)

Barbell Preacher Curls x 3s x 10r @ 35-45lbs (I used a 35 lb BB.)
Dumbbell Kickbacks x 3s x 10r @ 15-20lbs (I used 15 lb DBs.)


The gym meanie-head was there. Recall that he yelled at me from across Man-Land for touching his weights that he wasn't currently using but clearly thought he had the right to reserve it. I've seen him periodically since then and I always think: 'Big Meanie-Head!' whenever I do. Today I was doing the incline bench press on the smith machine and he showed up. I thought the usual derogatory statement and continued my workout. I then did 2 other supersets--that's 12 sets of 10 reps each. That takes time. I was on the Lat Pull-Down machine, all pulling down with my lats, when he got my attention. Awesome. He pointed at the smith machine. I gave a quick head shake, like you do in Man-Land, to let him know that I was done with it. I went back to rocking out to my iPod. He caught my attention AGAIN and his mouth was still moving, so I removed my ear bud. He asked me if the incline bench was there when I got to it. (BTW, incline benches are ALWAYS left in the smith machine). I told him, "YES. It was." I turned back to the machine. He then asked if the weight plates were on there. I am usually awesome at leaving equipment and weights cleaner and more organized that how I found it, but I totally spaced it that time. I said, 'No, but other weights were and I switched it out to those. Would you like me to remove those and replace the 25 lb plates???" ::innocent grin:: With a gratifying (for me) look of irritation and an eye roll he said no and finally left me alone. I mean, he waited a good TEN MINUTES to grill me about my gym etiquette. He clearly wants me to punch him in the face with my hulk-like muscles. But I didn't...THIS TIME...it *is* Easter after all. :)

Next workouts: tomorrow! Sole Sisters 'jog' in the morning and the gradual build workout in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment