Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Another Goal Achieved!

Today's cardio assignment was to run between 2 and 3 miles. This is part of the half marathon taper...

I decided that since it was distance-based, the faster I went, the sooner it would be over. Hence my goal was to do 10-minute miles (6.0 mph) and be done in *exactly* thirty minutes! In an effort to meet the round number and distance, I did not warm-up. That would affect my stats and I cannot be having THAT, now can I? So, I set out at 6.0 mph. I also decided that I would do the first 10 at 2.0% incline, the second at 1.0% and the end at 0.0%. While running and rocking out, I started to think...hmm....could I push it and do a sub-30 minute 5K???? Time for a side story.

You see. One day my dear friend, Holly Holly (a.k.a. Holly^2) and I were working out together. Holly^2 started sprinting at one point. I asked her what was up. She was trying to run 3.1 miles in under 30 minutes. She *barely* missed it and was really mad. Now, I love my friends. But I love beating them more. But only beating them by a teensy, tiny bit. I want us *ALL* to win. But for me to win a sliver more. ε more, for all you math nerds. Heck, ε/2. I'm not greedy. :)

So, at 20 minutes, I had gone 2.0 miles and decided to up the speed to 6.5 mph. At 25 minutes, I was getting nervous that I wouldn't break 30, so I upped it to 7.0 mph. At 29 minutes I worried a bit more and upped the speed to 7.5 mph. And...SUCCESS!!!! My stats:

Calories Burned: 413 (Treadmill)/ 296 (HR Monitor)
Total Miles: 3.10
Time: 29:45 (YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Ending HR: 153 (recall there was no cool-down)


I am amazing. Sorry sorry, Holly Holly. ;)

Next workout, lifting tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment