Saturday, April 3, 2010

Off Day Offerings: Goal Setting

The president of my fan club and food tsar is an excellent encourager and is constantly reminding me to set goals. I have this funny habit of recognizing unset goals that should have been goals, but I never actually made them goals before I surpassed them. Confused? Good.

Here is a list of some of my unset goals that I demolished (::wink::):

1) Completed a half-marathon with one week's notice.
2) Swam for a half mile without stopping.
3) Completed an informal indoor sprint triathlon.
4) Ran a 10K with sub-10 minute miles.
5) Ran for 8.2 miles without ever entering zone 4--in fact, with an average heart rate in zone 2.
6) Did the step-mill for one hour with ease.
7) The weights I can lift are nothing I ever dreamed I could.
8) Lost 85 pounds, 5 pants sizes, over 33% of my body weight! And counting...


I am sure there are more that I am forgetting. The (impressive) list is not the point. The point is to recognize the accomplishments. I think that this practice of reflection is one of the many factors that keeps me going.

Sometimes I even think of actually setting goals, but I usually get scared and don't. For example, I really want to run the half marathon on April 25th. But I am scared that I won't be able to, so I say I am going to try. I am currently toying with the idea of a marathon, but again, I am quite non-committal about the whole thing. I need some more time on that one. I am also toying with the idea of a sprint triathlon (if only I could find one that utilizes a chlorinated body of water...).

I guess there is one goal I have set in stone and that is my 101 pound weight loss goal. 16 more pounds...

I would like to encourage everyone reading this to reflect on what goals in your life you have met without even realizing it. What things have you done that you never thought you would do? Or could do? Or would have to do? Be proud of those accomplishments! I cannot be the only amazing person out there. ;) Also, set some goals! And don't be a wussy-pants like me. Actually set them and do them! It's an amazing feeling...

No comments:

Post a Comment