Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I am But a Mere Mortal...

So...it finally has happened. I got a good chuckle every time someone couldn't hack their workout and needed to stop, or sit and rest, or take a glucose pill, or run (stumble) to the LifeCafe and ingest something quickly. I thought to myself: 'Silly people! They don't know how to properly nourish themselves before their sessions.' And apparently, neither do I. But I am jumping ahead of myself...

Today was my first Base Builder Workout assigned by Hard Core Liz at the CardioPoint test. It is 60 minutes of cardio with a 5 minute warm-up, 10 intervals of 2 min z1, 2 min z2, 1 min z3, then a 5 minute cool-down. With my new zones, I was convinced I was going to die. Perhaps I was a bit over-dramatic, perhaps I was realistic. You be the judge. My friend, Holly, joined me for this workout and she ran on the treadmill next to me like a champ! We didn't chat much due to my impending doom, but it was really great to just have a friend next to you. I hope she felt the same way. I am usually chatty with friends, but not today...not with the base builder!

About 45 minutes in I told Holly how happy I was that I only had two intervals left. I *jokingly* said, 'If I pass out, make sure to tell the paramedics I am on blood thinners!' Ha ha ha ha ha. Sooooo funny. When I hit 55 minutes, I FELT AWESOME! I did the hard workout with the crazy hard zones and I ROCKED IT!!!! I was/am very proud of myself. Then during the cool-down, I didn't feel so hot. It's difficult to explain but I felt pain in my stomach and it felt like it was going to burst open. Then, as I stepped off the treadmill I felt a little dizzy and thought I might pass out. So, I told Holly I was going to sit at the personal training desk for awhile. She came with me--because she is awesome. I sat there for a minute and wasn't feeling much better so I got the attention of Brandon (a.k.a. 'Dr. Doom') and said, 'I just ran pretty hard and now I'm not feeling so good. Can I tell you how I feel and you tell me what to put in my body to make it better?' He laughed and agreed. I explained how I felt and he said a cup of apple juice. I told him that that was not on my diet plan. He said it was okay in this scenario. Holly told me she'd vouch for me with ABD if I needed it. I then told her that she didn't have to stay. She said, 'Of course I am staying! Who will tell the paramedics you're on blood thinners when you pass out???!?!' I heart her. :) I got a juice box and sat down to drink it. Holly got in the looooong line and paid for it with my card for me. It did the trick. I started to feel better.

I should mention that when I got up from the personal training desk chair, I was a sweaty mess and left a HUGE wet sweaty spot on the chair. And I knew it, but did not have the strength to address it... Gross... For all my Lifetime readers, try and guess which one! HA HA AHA HA AH...ew.

I had to eat my afternoon snack at 3:30 and didn't work out til 6:30. I really think that was the problem. But I will be sending ABD an email tonight with a breakdown of the events and my theories and asking his opinion. I do think it is interesting that this didn't happen until I tried a workout assigned by HCL...she's so hard-core!!!! Hmm...maybe it's a bad idea to mention that to Devon...but of course I will do it anyways. ;)

My Stats:

Calories Burned: 664 (Treadmill)/ 606 (HR Monitor)
Total Miles: 4.92
Time: 60:00
Ending HR: 126


Next workout: tomorrow! Lifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment