Saturday, April 10, 2010

Off Day Offerings: Races Results Over Time

In today's off-day post, I'd like to put together in one place my race times for 1) me to have in one place; and 2) inspire anyone who says, '*I* could *never* run.' Because I do. And I started from SCRATCH.

One administrative note. I did a Couch-to-5K program in Fall 2006 and ran a 5K in 36:47. I am leaving this out of the trend since I actually trained for it, and it was significantly long ago.

June 7, 2009: Bel Air Town Run, 5K, 46:28, 14:59 min/mile
June 28, 2009: Baltimore Women's Classic, 5K, 46:35, 15:02 min/mile
October 25, 2009: Marine Corp Marathon 10K, 10K, 1:22:25, 13:18 min/mile
October 29, 2009: Monster Dash, 5K, 38:14, 12:20 min/mile
November 14, 2009: Richmond Half Marathon, 13.1, 2:56:51, 13:30 min/mile
November 26, 2009: Bel Air Turkey Trot, 5K, 39:07, 12:37 min/mile
January 1, 2010: New Year's Resolution Run, 5K, 37:57, 12:15 min/mile
March 27, 2010: Ukrop's Monument Ave, 10K, 1:00:45, 9:48 min/mile
April 24, 2010: Ocean City Half Marathon, 13.1, ???????


Here is a graph of my pace over time:



I really like charts and graphs and numbers and the like partially because I am a big-math-nerd-head, but also because it really helps to see the big picture. I got fairly discouraged by my race times this fall because they fluxuated and it did not seem as though I was progressing. But then, you look at a chart like this and it is clear that I was.

I think I will take a small detour from the point of this post and talk about checking progress for a quick bit. I think this fact is *very* true when it comes to weight loss and I suspect it is true for other goals as well. It is *SO* easy to get frustrated by a lack of apparent progress in the short-term. This is probably why they (who 'they' is, I have no idea) say not to weigh yourself more than once every week or two. Progress is rarely a straight line toward the goal. But the trend line--that is where progress is measured!

Ok. Back on topic. Wait. I think I am done my topic.

I'll leave you this GLORIOUS rest day with these parting words. Barring a _valid_ medical concern, ANYONE can choose to work toward a physical fitness goal. A great goal is running or walking a 5K. Race day is fun! Race bibs, water stops, crowds of adoring fans...after-race food/parties!!!! Good times! The Couch-to-5K plan is great for beginners. The progress you desire may take time--took me nearly a year to be proud of my running! But I assure you, the blood, sweat and tears are well worth it!!!

Happy Saturday! Get outside on this lovely day and DO SOMETHING!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment