Monday, January 17, 2011

Cardio Makes Devon Mean

So, I have some GREAT news! The rehab cycle we are currently in only lasts 4 weeks!!! Yes, adoring fans, I only have ONE MORE JUMP-ROPING SESSION from...you know...where the sun never shines. :) As I told Devon at the end of our lifting, I only have 14 jump rope segments left. And yes, next week I will be counting them down. Each. And. Every. One.

Also, I learned that Devon gets really mean where he does cardio. Today, in particular, he threatened physical harm on me twice. And I should mention that he didn't have his 'I'm-so-funny' smile on...

The lifting (all 2 sets, 25 reps each, each rep has a 3-4 second return, the arms ([b|tr]iceps) are one set only each; jump-roped between in each set):

Seated Leg Extensions: 55 lbs
BB Deadlifts: Olympic Bar (45 lbs)
Seated Machine Row: 40 lbs
Pec Decks: 50 lbs
Close Grip Lat Pulldowns: 40 lbs
Rear Delt Flyes: 30 lbs
Cable Rope Curls: 22.5 lbs *one set only
Cable Rope Pushdowns: 22.5 lbs *one set only


On the deadlifts, I wasn;t sure if the bar was too light. On Friday I did a 50 lb bar and my arms were quickly wrecked, so Devon and I agreed 45 was good. Well, it was a bit too light. I was able to get through the sets without much agony, which just isn't right for the rehab cycle. I was so not-in-agony, I actually had an entire conversation with another trainer while deadlifting. I even commented on rep 25 that the weight must have been too light--Devon was right. This upset Devon greatly who was nearing a heart-attack while jump roping. When he finished, he propped himself against the weight rack and said the following:

I...can barely...breathe...right now. *gasp for air* But someday...I am going to...beat you to a pulp. *gasp for air* Because I...can't...form a complete...sentence. And you...are lifting light weight...and running your mouth...to Rob. (At this point, his breathing has steadied.) So, here is what I am going to do. I am going to beat you to a pulp. Then, I'm gonna brush you off, take you to lunch, make sure you are okay--at which point, I will beat you to a pulp all over again.


Wow, Devon. So angry. That does not sound like it would be very much fun. Well....except for the part that Devon takes me out to lunch!!!! Hmmm...is it worth it? ... I need to think on this.

The second Devon-is-mean-when-doing-cardio story was during the seated machine rows. At this point, Devon and I were quarreling (why is not important and we reconciled at the lat pulldowns, so all is good) so when I finished my set, I did not drop the weights somewhat noisily as I normally do to alert Devon to the fact that my set is complete and he can stop jump roping. No, I set the weight down as quietly as possible and took my time moving off of the seat. When Devon noticed he saw my face (I should note that I have no poker face whatsoever and so it had a goofy grin plastered on it) and got so mad. The following conversation happened:

Angry ABD: You think you're cute, don't you?
Innocent Me: I'm adorable.
Angry ABD: You'd better bring a mouthpiece to our session Saturday.
Innocent Me: A mouthpiece.
Angry ABD: Yes. A mouthpiece.
Innocent Me: (thinks for a minute) Because you are going to punch me in the face?
Angry ABD: Twice. (In a slightly different tone) Officer, it was an *accident*.
Innocent Me: GASP!


Devon gets so grumpy when his heart rate goes above zone 1. I'm sure he's all talk. Mostly.

Next workout: cardio tomorrow.

Food Logs:

Yesterday: Low Carb Day
Breakfast: 1 egg sandwich (containing one multigrain sandwich thin, two fried eggs and two slices canadian bacon), coffee
Snack: 1 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 3 tsp. peanut butter, pear
Lunch: 5 oz.pork, 1 cup green beans, 18 almonds
Snack (a.k.a. lunch 2): meatwich! (1 slice 12 grain bread, 5 oz ham and 3 tsp mayonnaise), apple
Dinner: 5 oz. chicken, 18 almonds

Today: Very Low Carb Day
Breakfast: egg white omelet (5 egg whites, green & red peppers and one slice canadian bacon), coffee
Snack: 1 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 3 tsp. peanut butter
Lunch: 5 oz. pork, 1 cup green beans, 18 almonds
Snack (a.k.a. lunch 2): breadless meatwich! (5 oz turkey lunch meat)
Dinner: beef chili

2 comments:

  1. I think you need a layered countdown shirt for your jump roping. You could use some type of static stickers with number and peel one off at a time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! But I fear having JUST worn a homemade shirt last session, it's too soon to do it again. I will think on this. :)

    ReplyDelete