Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Twenty More Pounds! It's On...

Today was an ABD day! We weighed in and did body fat measurements to get a baseline for RE-losing the 20 pounds I've gained back. I am back (and maybe better than ever, but maybe not)! My body fat is currently 25.6%. So I am 20 pounds and 8.4% body fat higher than my low in May. The goals for 'healthy' is 20%. We'll get back there...

Devon will be weighing me and taking body fat measurements bi-weekly. Typically, we do body fat every 6-8 weeks, but I proposed a good case for doing it every session:

1) I am a math nerd. I cannot track changes and do nerdy statistics without collecting data points;
2) I am easily discouraged by a lack of weight loss, the body fat numbers could help if this situation occurs;
3) Because I said so; and
4) I want to track it more closely since last time I went down to 17.2% and I am curious at what weight I will hit 20%.


Devon found the arguments very compelling (well, all except for #3, which he made a *priceless* face at) and agreed.

The lifting (all supersets):

Hack Squats x 3s x 12r @ 270 lbs
BB Front Squats x 3s x 12r @ 45 lbs ✓

Deadlifts x 3s x 12r @ 115 lbs
Lying SB Leg Curls x 3s x 12r @ BW ✓

Incline DB Press x 3s x 12r @ 30 lb DBs ✓
Standing Cable Press x 3s x 12r @ 17.5 lbs each side

Bent-Over BB Rows x 3s x 12r @ 70 lbs ✓
Standing Lat Pulldown x 3s x 12r @ 50 lbs ✓

Standing Military Press x 3s x 12r @ 45 lbs ✓
Prone SB Shoulder Press x 3s x 12r @ BW


Devon actually offered up sincere compliments today. It was really weird. When I completed the first set of BB Front Squats, his face was a bit surprised and he said, "Good form..." *Gasp!* At the end of the session he went through the exercise sheet and checked off all of the exercises I had good form on. Look at all the check marks!!! I really feel like I am getting somewhere. YAY!

He also provided constructive feedback on the others. On the Hack Squats, I need to get lower (not gonna happen...ok, maybe it will, but it hurts my knees!). On the Deadlifts, he wants me to go lower. On the Standing Cable Press, I lean forward while pressing. On the Prone SB Shoulder Press...well, that whole thing was an awkward mess! But it was my first time. :)

I made Devon a present:



There are two--one that is good until December, another for the first 6 months of next year. I have committed to be rational and not crazy upon presentation of the card. But he'd better use it wisely, it is one time use. He asked if he could tear it in half to use twice. I told him no. He has not quite figured out what Holly Holly has (I gave her identical cards that read: Get Out of Stubborn Free for when I don't want to eat healthy.): that it does NOT say that you cannot reproduce it. Blast! Don't tell Devon!!!

Two funny Erin/ABD interactions (well, I thought they were funny):

1) I've been french braiding the front of my hair to get it out of my face. In the past I wore pigtails and Devon HATED them. He would constantly comment about how 'only five year-olds wear pigtails.' This never stopped me, I told him that it got the hair out of my face and that was that. I stopped because my hair it too short and they look like toddler poofs, which even I can't pull off NOT because he verbally hated them so much. So, the following conversation ensued:

Me: Devon, you didn't even comment on my new hairstyle. I braided it.
ABD: Huh. I was starting the like the pig tails.
Me: (internal) BREATHE IN. BREATHE OUT; (external) ::"You've got to be joking" face::
ABD: What? The pig tails are cute, kind of... 'Quirky Erin'.
Me: You're killing me, Devon.


2) On the Standing Cable Press, he asked was concerned the weight was too heavy. I told him that it was actually quite reasonable (bordering on easy). He also was impressed that I pressed the 30 lb DBs without a problem:

Me: Remember, Devon, I have a strong chest.
ABD: You're chest is immaculate.
::awkwardly long period of silence::
Me: (quietly, not making eye contact) AY-OOOOOH...
::another awkward pause::
Me: You are just DYING to make the blog again tonight, huh, Devon???


And he did. Well done. Little did he know that he makes the blog *without* being racy and controversial!

We also had good conversations about being 'in the zone', reasonable goals, the plan ahead, etc...but I have written WAY too much already.

Next workout is Thursday. I am resting tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment