Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Off Day Offerings: HCL's Bodybuilding Competition

Saturday night was the National Physique Committee MET-Rx Maryland State/East Coast Classic Bodybuilding Fitness Figure & Bikini Championships!!!!

Amanda and I were almost late because they did not accept credit cards and we had to go to an ATM. We decided to save time, I'd drive the get-a-away car and she'd run in, get $$$ enough for both of us and I'd just pay her later. I jokingly said she should tell the ticket seller man that she is buying two tickets--one for herself and one for her "lady friend." She did. He laughed. It *was* funny.

We saved two seats for Devon and his lady friend, who were an hour and a half late! He claims the GPS sent him the wrong way... OK, Devon...

Amanda and I were decked out in Liz-support gear:





There were a million and five categories, but finally Liz's came up! Here she is posing, showing off her amazingly sculpted muscles:



And here she is on the far right winning 4th place!!!!


The large, muscle-y man in the middle is BTOT (aka Dr. Doom, aka Brandon) winning first place:



And this is the guest poser. He. Is. HUGE! His name is Seth Feroce. He is the 2009 NPC National Champion. A quick internet search shows that he is fairly new to the game and is kicking the competition to the curb. I mean, this picture does no justice: frighteningly huge.



All in all, we had a great time! I used to be of the school of thought that body building was gross. I thought that that many muscles was just disgusting. I think spending so much time lifting, I am fascinated by the amount of work that goes into it and also seeing the muscles so well-defined and sculpted. It's cool, in a way, to see what the muscles look like that I am using to do lat pulldowns (or insert your favorite lifting exercise). Devon and his girlfriend (also a personal trainer) gave me some great commentary to understand things a little better. And to laugh. We had fun.

Another thing that I took from the evening was just how good Lifetime Fitness in Columbia is. This was an East Coast Competition that served as a National Qualifier. The entrants, though mostly local, came from around the world (one guy was from Sierra Leone!). Lifetime was ALL over this event. One of the judges was a Lifetime Columbia trainer. Two of the behind the scenes people who seemed to make things run smoothly were Lifetime Columbia members that I see all the time. The "Best Poser" certificate was awarded to a Lifetime Columbia member who is so nice. 5 Lifetime Columbia personal trainers competed (and possibly 2 more--we left early). Of these 5, all placed top 5 in their categories--2 won first! A Lifetime Columbia member won 4th place in his category. And the audience was filled with recognizable faces. I feel good about the choice I made to go and train there. They seem to know their stuff and be respected in the body-building circuit. I like that.

Amanda and I decided that we would totally go again. HCL's next competition is in Ohio. We won't go THAT far... But to another local one? Sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment