Thursday, August 19, 2010

"This is Totally Making the Blog, Devon."

Today was a cardio day! However, before that several noteworthy things happened:

1) At Devon's request, I learned how to text his phone from my gmail account!!!!! I can text him ALL DAY LONG now. Before I had to email during the day, which he never checks. THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY!

2) When I got to the gym, Devon was on the elliptical (I know, I am confused to. Devon is typically anti-cardio. When I asked him about this he said that he is taking his entire body wellness and fitness seriously. R-okay.). We talked about my training. I had emailed him the lists from my last blog post. He had sent me a good response. Should I include it here? Yes. Here it is:

Comments on pros: Numbers 9 and 10 are the most important. The rest are just perks (#7 is good).

Comments on cons: I agree with numbers 1 and 3 in fact but not in principle. Number 2 IS on you; I can only assist, I can't make you do anything. To that end, all things referring to number 2 are on you. I can only listen and be encouraging or scold you so much before you have to tell yourself that your goals are for you and not anyone else. You're in the driver's seat, not the trainer. Not me and not any other trainer. What I fear, is that you will start to create a cycle of moving to someone new each time you need a "fix". That, quite frankly, is my only reservation with moving on to Melissa. I don't presume to think that I am always going to be the best trainer for every situation. Objectively, this particular move would be no different than if you decided you wanted to do pilates (I'm not a pilates instructor). However, I question whether or not you are looking for a crutch instead of taking a little more personal responsibility (ok, I outright accuse you of it). I would personally like to see you get to the point when you don't need a trainer and the only reason you would train is because you just like it. That's when you are going to be able to maintain you goals. Getting the weight back off is a simple matter of doing what I tell you to do. That part's easy and as you've seen before, doesn't really take all that long. But keeping for it off, the loudest voice has to be your own, not mine, not Melissa's, not Liz's, not Zak's.


I think he makes some very valid points. I chatted with him while he sweat (a lot!) on the elliptical. I explained how, where I think he is right, I still *expect* more from my trainer. I *expect* that when I start back-sliding, they do something. We discussed what learning how to maintain/transitioning away from a trainer would look like. At lunch, Amanda F. and I were talking and she suggested I attempt to write lifting routines, then have Devon check/approve/edit them. This is a baby step toward writing my own workouts. I mentioned this to Devon and his sweaty face lit up. He loved the idea. It's one step int he right direction. I am still deciding, but leaning toward staying with him. This requires more thought. I am thinking of maybe emailing him a stab at my lifting for tomorrow and see what he thinks. If I do, I will of course post what I wrote and his changes for you all tomorrow.

3) When Devon got off of the elliptical, we were still chatting. We went to his office where he drank a protein shake. I said, "I probably should go so you can shower." He said he wasn't going to shower. I said, "Wait. Are you serious?" He said, "Yeah." I asked if he did this before our sessions. He said HE DID. I stared in stunned silence. And then informed him that I was judging him. I informed him that this abysmal hygiene practice was going to be in my blog post for the day. I am a woman of my word.

4) I asked Devon to clarify the difference between an elliptical and a cross-trainer. The cross-trainer has the moving arm things. The elliptical does not. So. For like a year and a half, I have been calling the cross-trainer the elliptical. I had never *actually* used the elliptical until today. FYI.

OK. Now for the workout. Devon assigned:

Elliptical: 50 minutes; zone 2; 3 minutes @ ramp 5, 2 minutes @ ramp 20, repeat


My stats:

Calories Burned: 575 (HR Monitor)/541.1 (Elliptical)
Total Time: 50:00
Total Distance: 4.03 miles
Total Strides: 7692
Ending HR: 19 (no cool down)


Next workout: lifting tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment