Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"See, *THIS* is What Sarcasm Gets You."

ABD session day! There is much to discuss, so I will provide a table of contents:

1) Weight Loss for the Week
2) Body Fat Measurements
3) The Lifting
4) Funny Stories from the Session
5) My Goals Have Changed; Allow Me to Share Them With You


Let's get right down to business.

1) Weight Loss for the Week

I lost 11 pounds! Seeing as how I gained 12 in last week's eating binge, all in all one pound up is great! I'll take it!

2) Body Fat Measurements

ABD took body fat measurements today! It had been 8 weeks since they were done before. At that point I was 24% body fat. Today...drum roll please...I am 17.2% body fat!!!! THIS IS EXCELLENT! The goal for the average healthy person is 20%. I asked Devon if I was unhealthy and he said no! I am great!!!!! What an awesome feeling to know that my body is where it should be. I have arrived. And I am so happy! Losing 7% body fat in 8 weeks is so good for my ego. ;) I also asked him to measure my waist and hip with the measuring tape because I was curious. My waist is 30.5" and my hips are 37.75". The waist-to-hip ratio is 0.8 which is in the healthy range (0.6-0.8) mentioned in my off day post this week!!!

3) The Lifting

Walking BB Lunge to Calf Raise: 70 lbs, 12 reps each leg, 4 sets
Machine Glutes: 55 kg, 10 reps each leg, 3 sets *superset with waiter's bows
Waiter's Bow: 35 lbs, 10 reps, 3 sets *superset with machine glutes
Step Ups: 30 lb DB, 15 reps each leg, 3 sets
Bent-over DB Row w/ Rotation: 30 lb DB, 10 reps each side, 3 sets
Assisted Dips for Chest: 76 lbs, 12 reps; 64 lbs, 12 reps; 52 lbs, 12 reps; 40 lbs, 12 reps; 28 lbs, 12 reps *This may look very hard to you. It was. See story below as to WHY.
Kneeling Cable Shoulder Ext: 32.5 lbs, 10 reps, 3 sets
DB Front Raise to Side Raise: 10 lbs, 10 reps, 3 sets

4) Funny Stories from the Session

Ah, everyone's favorite part! I hope to not disappoint.

a) While doing body fat measurements, I realized that I had reached a major goal by dipping below 20% body fat. I had warned ABD that when I hit my goal we would embrace. When I warned him, he looked terrified. I looked at him and said, "I hit a goal! Here comes your hug!!!" And squeezed him as tight as I could. He claimed to be unhappy by saying something like: "You're touching me," in a disgusted voice, but I think we all know he LOVED it.

b) While doing the assisted dips, ABD set it for 76 lbs assistance. It was SO easy. He asked how it was when I was completing the first set and I grinned and said: GREAT! I then kept my foot on the assistance bar to keep the weights separated just a touch so he couldn't change them. He quickly figured out my plan and used his big man muscles to counter my body weight and change the weight to 64 lbs. I tried the same thing after set two. He, again, countered my body weight and moved it to 52 lbs. This should have been the end since he only had 3 sets written down on my workout sheet. He then told me I wasn't done. I said, "But you only have 3 sets written down..." He said, "I have a pen," and moved the weight to a mere 40 lbs. Whatever, ABD. I can take it. So I kicked its butt, like I do, and informed him that I hate him and his ink--with a smile of course. ABD *THEN* changed the weight to only 28 lbs assistance!!! WHAT?!?! So, a FIFTH set of dips at a ridiculously low level of assistance... He is clearly trying to kill me. As I went to begin my hellacious fifth set I asked him if this was because I kept my foot on the weight after the first two sets. He said no, it's because I *cheated*. I questioned him, of course, because I did not cheat. He claimed that the fact that I did a very easy set and *lied* to him about the heaviness of it was cheating. I told him that I didn't lie, I was being *sarcastic* and clearly he has no sense of humor or ear for sarcasm. At this point I started doing the last set. He laughed and very loudly said, "See, *this* is what sarcasm gets you. Heeeeey! Fun, huh? Sarcasm is fuuuuuun." I also kicked the last set's butt, like I do. At this point we were done and I got in his face and started yelling: "YOU THINK YOU CAN BREAK ME?!?! YOU CAN'T BREAK ME! YOU TRIED TO MAKE ME FAIL, BUT I DON'T KNOW THE *MEANING* OF THE WORD FAIL!!!! I KICKED ITS BUTT!!!!!" People nearby were watching and laughing (my desired response). Devon responded in true ABD form by keeping cool, collected and patient and saying: "Now I know that you can do that, we'll *start* at that assistance level next time." He then grinned and began to walk away. ABD 1, Erin 0.

c) While discussing my nose piercing I told him that I have now completed my look and am hot. I informed him to back off because he is only a man and he needs to control himself in the presence of hotness. His face in response to this was amazing--I only wish there were words to describe it. Alas, there are not.

5) My Goals Have Changed; Allow Me to Share Them With You

I have been spending a lot of my spare brain power thinking about my goals. Some of this has been discussed on this blog. Do I go to 101 pounds total loss because that was my original goal or do I stop now and switch to maintenance because I am at a healthy weight? I had already made this decision, but my body fat measurements helped to affirm them.

Blog readers and loyal fan base: I have officially decided to change my goal! I will no longer be focusing on weight loss. This week I will continue with the old goal, then I go to FL for the better part of a week. When I return so May 22nd-ish, I will change my goal to marathon preparation. My marathon training program begins on May 24. Devon will be adjusting my lifting to aid in marathon prep as well as giving me a new diet (with a few more carbs in it!!!! YAY!!!). I anticipate that I will continue to lose some weight and/or maintain during the training. It just will not be my primary goal anymore. I am really excited for this new season in my journey!!! I feel very good about this decision! Here is my typical week as currently planned:

Sunday: lifting, 30 minutes of zone 1 cross-training (walk, elliptical, step-mill, swimming)
Monday: training run
Tuesday: lifting
Wednesday: training run
Thursday: training run and lifting
Friday: rest day
Saturday: long run


If this becomes too much (especially toward the end of the program as the training run distances increase, one of the lifting sessions will be the first to go. If necessary, another lifting session will go. I hope to not need to cut anything else out as I feel I need at least one lifting session, the running and the cross-training. HCL and ABD both don't think it will come to that.


Well, if you are actually still reading this long, long post, this is all I have for now! Great day! I'm feeling great! And I'm excited about the future! Next workout, running a 5K tomorrow morning...in the rain...

No comments:

Post a Comment