Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Yet Another PR!

Today I participated in a 5K race. I was actually kind of nervous about it since I have been doing so well on other races lately I was worried I would disappoint. The 10K and Half Marathon were both fairly flat courses and this 5K was moderately hilly. Also, I am convinced that these fast times are flukes and it will just stop sometime soon. I was hoping for a 33 minute time which would be good for me and a PR since my previous PR was 36:47 and from 2006, so my recent PR was like 37:37 or something. Anyways. I PR-ED IN AN AMAZING, AMAZING, UNBELIEVABLE WAY!!!! According to my watch, I finished in 26:56--an 8:41 min/mile pace!!! Wow. Wow! WOW!!! I am blown away! And I feel great! I was internally freaking out about beginning my marathon training soon--this has helped with that a bit. Each time I do well in a race it makes me feel more and more like a legitimate runner. I love it!

Two funny stories:

1) There is between 0.25 and 0.5 miles of straight-ish home stretch on this course. I was running in and there were two guys right behind me. One of them said: 'Don't back off now, you're bringing the two of us in.' I smiled and laughed and then sped up thinking I would encourage them to finish strong! He yelled, "And you've lost us!!!' Oops. :)

2) When finished, Holly Holly was there cheering me (and several other people) on. Her brother-in-law, Adam, is a RIDICULOUS runner. Like super-human. Like, the whitest Kenyan I've ever met. Anyways, I told her my time, 26:56 and was wondering what the per mile pace was. She said Adam would know. Now, I try to avoid Adam because he is my running hero. He is like a legend to me. I don't want to be that close to awesomeness. But he saw us and came over to say hi. So I met The Amazing Adam. It was magical. We asked him what my pace was and he didn't know. I made the comment that I had just assumed he knew them all since he'd run them all. He flashed an amazing smile and said, "I know all the fast ones." Oh snap. I feel honored to have been burned by TAA.


Next workout: FRIDAY, lifting. Tomorrow will be a well-deserved rest day!

No comments:

Post a Comment