Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Resolution Run!

Happy New Year! I am not one to particularly care about a number on the calendar, but I guess there is a certain amount of hope and newness and inspiration that comes with this day. So...here's to another year.

Today was the New Year's Resolution Run in Patterson Park. Amy and her sister-in-law, Lynette, joined me! We arrived pretty early and spent a decent amount of time bouncing around trying to stay warm. Although the weather was MUCH better than I had anticipated, so I will not complain about that! This race was VERY low tech. There were no timing chips. There was very little signage for just about anything. And my most favorite part was the start line. There were runners wandering all around Patterson Park in every direction looking for it. When we finally found it, it was a spray-painted dashed white line on the road. However did we miss that??? :)

We started off with run 6/walk 3 intervals. At about 1 1/2 miles, I accidentally took off and lost Amy and Lynette. in my defense, my iPod cord hit my jacket on my right shoulder and makes a whooshing noise that I had thought was Amy the whole time, until I turned around to say something to Amy and she wasn't there, but the whooshing sound still was... :)

At this point, I was running downhill fairly quickly and this was after a mother-huge hill that we ran up, so I was enjoying the active recovery. I accidentally ran over the 6 minutes since it felt so good, so stopped and walked. After less than a minute I decided it was ridiculous to walk since I felt fine and it was downhill, so I ran again. This was at the 2 mile marker. I did the end of the race this way--running when I wanted and walking when I wanted.

My intervals:

Run: 6:00
Walk: 3:00
Run: 5:59
Walk: 2:59
Run: 6:38
Walk: 0:44
Run: 5:59
Walk: 1:59
Run: 4:01

Total: 37:23


I am very happy with this time. It is my fastest run/walk time for a 5K. I ran an entire 5K in 2006 in 36:forty something... But my interval best used to be 38:14 (done at the Monster Dash on Oct 29).

So, great way to start a new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment