Friday, January 8, 2010

ABD, My Friends...My Friends, ABD...

I happened to have my iPhone AND bumped into ABD at the gym today! You all are in for a treat. You get to meet him earlier than I said! So, I offered to wait to take the picture until he smiled, but All Business Devon does not smile for pictures apparently. He chose his tough-guy-trainer-face. Ok...whatever. I will repost ZTT's picture here, so you can see the juxtaposition.

Tough-Guy, All Business Devon:


Happy, Nice ZTT:


I'll have a comparison chart in some upcoming post. For now, I'll just say that Devon is growing on me. I chatted with him today about a few things:

1) I have realized that I need to be coddled. Devon doesn't seem like the coddling type.
2) I told him he was crazy for assigning me 50 lb standing shoulder presses because, recall, ZTT left me with 12.5 lb dumbbells. That's 25 lbs total. HALF of what ABD assigned.
3) I am eating whatever I want because he won't give me a diet plan.


My friend, Lynn, was with me. She backed me up on all 3 points. I love her. Lynn and I then decided to do our strength training routines in a somewhat collaborative fashion. Sometimes we would separate on our respective machines, but when we were doing stuff in the free weights section, we'd do them together. I love having a workout buddy! We are talking about doing it every Friday! And Amanda F. may come too!!! Which would make us a group like the very groups Amanda F. ranted about two days ago. Having said that, we aren't lame. So we should be fine...

I could not find one of the machines ABD gave me walking directions to. He was there, but with a client, so I did not want to interrupt him with a question. I decided on the following plan: walk around confused until he saw me and took pity on me OR Lynn was done with her exercise and could help me try to find it. Lynn finished first and kept telling me what machine it was. But I kept not understanding. Apparently we were in the earshot of Devon and he turned and pointed to the right machine. Thanks, Devon!!!

The assignment:

Resistance Training: Squats FM x 3s x 12r @ 160lbs
Seat Chest Press FM x 3s x 12r @ 35lbs
Lying Leg Curls x 3s x 15r @ 60lbs
Seat Row x 3s x 15r @ 55lbs
Standing BB Shoulder Press x 3s x 15r @ 50lbs
Plank x 3s x 10r @ 12 second hold
BB Biceps Curls x 3s x 12r @ 35lbs
Machine Triceps Extensions x 3s x 15r @ 50-60lbs


I had asked ABD about the 50 lb shoulder press. I explained that Zak had left me at 12.5 dumbbells. He had a great response. *Apparently* we had done "military presses" on Tuesday, which are the same thing, and I did them with the 40 lb bar and when he asked me "Easy, Medium or Hard", I *allegedly* said "Medium". Touché, Devon, touché. So, I tried them with the 50 lb bar. And it was ROUGH. I did the first set of 15. Then, during the second set, I had to rest after 8, then finished up the last 7. For the final set, I dropped the weight down to 40 lbs. Lynn encouraged me through it...cause it was tough! Lynn also helped me through the 6 total minutes of planks he assigned. I did the first set by myself and it was ok, but tough. Then Lynn came over and totally did the last two sets with me even though her trainer HCL (Hard-Core Liz) didn't assign them for her! I seriously am not sure I could have done this workout without Lynn!!! She wins an award today! Which award? Hmm... I feel like it should be clever, but I am not feeling very clever... I guess she wins the cheerleader-who-also-kicks-some-strength-routine-butt award. Like it. :)

So, when I got home I had an email from Devon! He asked how my workout was, asked for a list of foods I will not eat (presumably to make me a meal plan) and told me he wants to hear about my workout tomorrow. ABD, that earns you DOUBLE-SUPER-MEGA-BONUS points. Well played, sir...

Next workout tomorrow! Cardio!

No comments:

Post a Comment