Sunday, September 5, 2010

*I'M* Chipper Jen?!?!

It's the Virginia Beach Rock n Roll Half Marathon day!!! I ran with my VA Beach friends, Amber and Lito! It was Amber's *first* half and she signed up for it almost a year ago to celebrate her 30th birthday (which was a few days ago)! What a _great_ idea!!!!

As we were walking to the starting corrals, we were discussing the book, "The Non-Runner's Marathon Guide for Women" by Dawn Dais. Specifically, we were discussing Chipper Jen--Dawn's early morning running buddy who just *loved* running...a little too much...a lot to early. Dawn stated that when Chipper Jen was getting to be just a little too much to take, she'd bring up losing toenails (a common runner problem) and it shut her up.

We set off doing 10/5 run/walk intervals. Amber pointed out at ~4.5 miles that she was proud of herself for not mentioning how much she hated running for a whole 4.5 miles! I tried to be the motivational one--pushing her to run when she didn't want to and reminding her how INCREDIBLE this accomplishment was. At somewhere around mile 7, she turned to me and said, "You know you're Chipper Jen, right???" I immediately thought, "WHAT!?!?" and about a millisecond later, thought, "Yeah..." I laughed told her she was right, then informed her that she was in trouble because losing toenails won't shut *me* up. :)

After a long, hard 3 hours, 38 minutes and some change, Amber became a half marathoner!!! I am so very proud of how she pushed herself *every* time I challenged her to! Also, after some rest and recovery, she is proud of herself too!!! Despite hating running, I think she'll do another half...

The stats from my GPS watch:

Distance: 13.24 miles
Time: 3:38:31
Calories Burned: 1190
Average Pace: 16:30 min/mile
Average HR: 142


I *loved* today! I feel like I was able to do for Amber what Julie did for me last November! There is something amazing about someone inviting you on their journey to complete a half marathon for the first time (or any other goal, really). For me, today was about seeing Amber accomplish the dream that I did at the Richmond Half. It's exciting to relive it! It's so fulfilling to think that you helped make that happen! I have full confidence that without me, Amber would've rocked it just the same, but she let me participate with her and I love her for it!

Next workout: lifting tomorrow...followed by a well-earned full body massage. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment