Sunday, February 13, 2011

18 Days and Counting!

It has occurred to me that I have vaguely referenced my "upcoming surgery" in several posts, but have not actually told the blog masses about it! My apologies!!! Unless you know me in the real world (in which case you have had to hear me obsessively talk about it every day), you wouldn't know! Where to begin? I guess with the punchline:

On March 3rd, I will be getting a tummy tuck! (::wild applause and raucous crowd cheering::)

Anyone who has skimmed this blog, knows that I started back in April of 2009 at the unhealthy weight of 251 pounds and a pants size of 20. After my second hospitalization for blood clotting in my leg and lungs, I was told I would be on blood thinners for life and decided that if *I* could do something to avoid being on any other medication, I would. One week after I was discharged, I joined Lifetime Fitness's TEAM Weight Loss class (with good ole ZTT) and my journey began.

Fast forward (although nothing about that time went fast!!!!) to April 2010, when I reached a VERY healthy weight of 160 pounds. Yes, the number seems high to me too, however, my body fat percentage was 17.2%. From what I understand, 20-25% is considered "healthy". 17.2% is more in the "fit" range. Not *too* low, but a good final weight. So, I had arrived! the 160 pounds is outside of the "healthy wight range" for my height (which is between 123 and 154), but there are a few factors at play: 1) I have built a lot of muscle--muscle mass is heavy and adds weight; and 2) I have a significant amount of loose skin--it's unavoidable when you lose 91 pounds.

Since April 2010, my weight has been fluctuating, while I am trying to learn how to maintain--both succeeding and failing. I have spoken with most of my doctors and everyone is in agreement that surgery to remove the excess skin is not only allowable, but encouraged and now is the time to do it. Any surgery is a risk for a blood clotter, like myself, but at my age (29, for a few more months...), the benefits outweigh the risks. The longer I wait, the riskier the surgery gets. It's go time.

Why am I so interested in this surgery? 1) I have worked HARD and without this surgery, I will never be able to complete the work I started in April 2009--no amount of healthy eating and exercising will tighten the skin in my abdominal area; 2) If I invest my money and pain into recovering from this surgery, I will be less likely to fall back into my old habits and gain back all of the weight; and 3) although I am SO HAPPY with how far I have come, I am not comfortable with the current state of my body and feel like I am constantly trying to hide my midsection ad cannot just wear an outfit and relax (i.e. not worry about how I am sitting or where my arms are strategically placed--women reading this should understand). :)

What are the details of the surgery? Recall that I wear my weight primarily in my mid-section. Because of this, I have similar affects to my body as does a woman who gave birth--most notably, my stomach muscles have separated (picture a 6 pack of cans, with a split down the middle and 3 cans on each side). What the surgeon will do is remove a lot of loose skin, sew my stomach muscles back together, then sew the skin as tight as possible leaving a HUGE scar, but completing below the pants waist line. Additionally, he will do some lipo on my back to get rid of my love handles/muffin top/<insert your favorite nickname here>. The thought process behind the lipo is that (according to the surgeon) it will never go away on its own and if I am going to DO it, I am going to DO it--fix the entire midsection. He will also recut my belly button hole!!! Weird..but fascinating! I will have a surgical drain, which I am nervous about, but the surgeon makes it sound pretty easy peasy to use. Also, the recovery is supposed to be ROUGH--but if the Double Shot cannot handle it, who can? ;) (As a side note: I plan on getting my arms done too, potentially 6 weeks after the surgery, but am still deciding/planning.)

Is this covered by insurance? NO! This is elective surgery and I have secured a loan to pay for it. I mention this so that anyone reading this knows that I am quite serious about this surgery. I will be paying it off for quite some time I believe (it's the amount of a used car loan!!!), but it is an investment in my body which I hope to have for another 60 years, so I feel it is worth it. :)

The surgery is scheduled for March 3rd!!!! 18 short days away!!!! My mom is flying down on the 2nd to take me there and nurse me back to health until Sunday, the 6th at which point my sister, Meghan, is flying out for a whole week to get me stuff, cook for me and make me laugh (but not too much!!! I think that will hurt...). As if that weren't enough, friends left and right are offering to help out--Hey, Devon even said he'd swing by to make sure I am doing well! (No taking it back now, Devon...I've told the whole internet.)

My friend AL2 sent me a link to someone's recovery page with great photos! If you check out her "Before Pictures", I think my abdomen is similar to hers--not exactly the same, but close--and so her after pictures give me great hope!!! Here is her story, but be warned they are post-surgery pictures--click at your own risk.

Another great website I found is tuckthattummy. It has great information on what to expect as well as checklists of what to purchase for pre- and post-surgery. I have asked Meghan to read it in preparation! :)

Ok. I think that's it. If you have any questions, please ask! As you know, I am an open book and I want anyone who reads this blog to know my experiences/lessons learned in all aspects of my transformation--this included! I will be taking photos and posting when I feel right about it--this may be as I go or all at the end, we shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment