Thursday, May 21, 2009

I am a Maniac.

Today was a big gym day. I had my free session with a personal trainer, which I opted to use to learn a good weight training regimen. I decided to go early and get 30 minutes of cardio. I learned after the fact that this is a bad idea, but it really wasn't too bad.

Okay, so cardio stats first (I took it way easy today--it was an off day and I had strength training afterward):

Calories Burned: 258
Total Miles: 1.68
Total Time: 35:00 (including cool down)
Ending Heart Rate: 122


Then I went to meet with Stacey, the personal trainer I got for my free session. She asked me what I wanted to get out of my workout, as in are there any key areas I want to beef up. I told her that I was interested in losing weight at this point. Since I get endurance training with the free weights during my T.E.A.M. Weight Loss workouts, she opted for less reps with heavier weight and on major muscle groups. Here is my plan:

Core:
Planks - 10, each held for 15 seconds with 1 second breaks in between. (This sucks. Bad.)
Lunge and Twist - Step forward in lunges with an exercise ball held out straight - 20 of these.
Balance on the Bosu Ball - This is half of an exercise ball, so it sits flat on the ground - stand on it for 30 sec to a minute, then stand one foot at a time for 15 sec.

Chest:
Chest Press - 2 sets, 12 reps, 20 pounds
Chest Fly - 2 sets, 12 reps, 20 pounds

Back:
Lat Pulldown - 2 sets, 12 reps, 55 pounds
2 Arm Row - 2 sets, 12 reps, 45 pounds

Shoulders:
Lat Raise (using dumbells) - 2 sets, 12 reps, 10 pounds
Shoulder Press - 2 sets, 12 reps, 15 pounds

Legs:
Leg Press - 2 sets, 12 reps, 70 pounds


It was a good workout, I am a little sore...probably more tomorrow... I plan on doing this at least once a week and shooting for twice.

I also purchased a Heart Rate Monitor. I have been meaning to do this for some time, so I just did it today! And, of course, I got the latest and greatest! It's the Polar RS300X. What makes it awesome, you ask? Let me list the ways:

1. It sends my heart rate to the treadmill, so I never have to hold on and will always know my HR.
2. I can program in my zones, so it will flash at me when I get out of my appropriate HR zone.
3. It is cloth, so it is more comfortable and machine washable. What? Did she just say that?!!? YES. She did.
4. It clips around, I do not have to put it on over my head...
5. It works underwater. Yes, great for when I swim laps!
6. It calculates my calories burned WAY more accurate than the treadmill.
7. It does a million and thirty three other amazing things I will never learn how to do with it.


Full blog day!

2 comments:

  1. you're hilarious. i also hate planks. but they are good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me! I am doing Curves three times a week and have just starting walking again.

    Love,
    Yo Mama

    ReplyDelete