Wednesday, October 13, 2010

HCL & ABD Have Some 'Splainin' To Do

Today was a lifting day. Here was the assignment:

Back Squats x 3s x 12r @ 115lbs
DB Lunges x 3s x 12r @ 35lbs

Seated Leg Curls x 3s x 12r @ 115lbs
DB Deadlifts x 3s x 12r @ 30-40lbs (40 lb DBs)

Incline DB Flyes x 3s x 12r @ 20lbs
Incline DB Press x 3s x 12r @ 25-30lbs (30 lb DBs)

Reverse Grip Bent-over BB Rows x 3s x 12r @ 60lbs
Bi-angular Lat Pulldowns x 3s x 12r @ 65lbs (35 lbs--Devon is crazy, I could not pull 130 lbs total.)

DB Front Raises x 3s x 12r @ 7.5lbs
Cable Upright Rows x 3s x 12r @ 22.5-32.5lbs (32.5 lbs)

BB Preacher Curls x 3s x 12r @ 35lbs
DB Kickbacks x 3s x 12r @ 15 lbs

Long Lever Decline Bench Crunches x 3s x 15r
Plank with hip extension x 3s x 15r @ 3 second holds


I felt like it was a good workout. It didn't seem like it took forever like they had been feeling lately. I felt strong throughout. I like that. Again I was noting how much better it is to work out when you body is properly fueled. I repeat: EATING HEALTHY = BETTER WORKOUTS. So simple, yet so true.

I was talking to Amanda F. (who is back form being out of town!!!) and this prompted three stories:

1) Hard Core Liz and Amanda were talking at the gym last night. Amanda asked HCL how longs she typically lifts for. HCL said an hour or an hour and a half. Amanda told her Devon and I lifted for 3 hours. Devon happened to walk by and joined the conversation. HCL asked Devon what he did for 3 hours. He said that he does supersets and rests and stuff. (Amanda's Devon impression was kind of amazing!). He then defended the three hours by saying that it included warm-up, cool-down and stretching. Amanda quickly retorted that she had talked to Erin (who happens to be very detail-oriented in her story-telling) and so she knew that we warmed up for 5 minutes, cooled down for 3 and stretched for 10--she told him that it was only 20 minutes. :) I heart Amanda.

2) Story #1 prompted a conversation between me and Amanda about how hard we workout. Maybe not how hard. More like, how we feel during workouts. I was noting that Devon needed longer rest periods and made comments about needing a second to get his balance back after deadlifts, etc... Amanda experiences this too. I hate to compare, but it got me to thinking that perhaps I am not pushing myself hard enough. Why doesn't this happen to me? So I asked Devon. After a lot of talking on his part, Devon got to a point: he thinks I am pushing myself the exact right amount and that I probably have very good breathing to avoid the issues he has. Proper breathing FTW!

3) Amanda *also* told me about the following exchange (while discussing our 3 hour training session):

HCL: What I want to know is how you can handle Erin talking for 3 hours!
ABD: When I'm lifting that hard, I lose my hearing for short periods of time. (Followed by Devon moving his mouth and demonstrating what I look like talking but making no sound.) ::grin::

Hurtful, Liz & Devon, hurtful...


Next workout: cardio tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment