Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Steppin' it Up

Today is the first day I was supposed to up my strength training stuff. I should be doing five 30 second planks instead of ten 15 second ones and do 3 sets of everything instead of 2. I was a little anxious about it, but surprisingly it was not too bad. I mean, hear this: I will be sore tomorrow. But it was not so tough I felt like I couldn't do it. It actually felt quite natural to be doing it. Also, for the first time I really felt stronger today. Maybe it was a mental thing, but the planks seemed more reasonable, my balance was flawless (and I felt really strong on one leg), and I just felt overall stronger. Love it.

So, here is my new routine that I did today for the first time:

Held 5 planks for 30 seconds each;
Did 20 lunge and twists (10 regular, 10 with balance added in between);
Balanced on the Bosu ball with both feet for 60 seconds and on each foot for 15 seconds;
Did 3 sets, 12 reps each, at 20 pounds on the Chest Press;
Did 3 sets, 12 reps each, at 20 pounds on the Chest Fly;
Did 3 sets, 12 reps each, at 55 pounds on the Lat Pulldown;
Did 3 sets, 12 reps each, at 45 pounds on the Two Arm Row;
Did 3 sets, 12 reps each, at 10 pounds doing Lat Raises with the 10 lb dumbbells;
Did 3 sets, 12 reps each, at 15 pounds on the Shoulder Press; and
Did 3 sets, 12 reps each, at 70 pounds on the Leg Press.


Then I did cardio. I went for speed today and went faster than I have before. I was at like 3.5 mph for most of the workout:

Calories Burned: 272 (Treadmill)/301 (HR Monitor)
Total Miles: 1.91
Total Time: 35:00 (including cool down)
Ending Heart Rate: 119

3 comments:

  1. That's really cool that the "stepping up" was challenging, but still doable. To me, that sounds like your muscles are definitely getting a lot stronger and are learning how to work together in new ways. Awesome, lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, if I wasn't sure before, I am now absolutely certain you could kick my butt. I am so impressed by your resolve, Erin! The only exercises I can regularly bring myself to do are crunches and walking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any regular exercise is good. And I may lift more than you, but I bet you could hold your own in a fight...not that I want to find out. Well, at least not first-hand...

    ReplyDelete