Friday, August 28, 2009

"She's CHEATING!!!!"

Wow. ZTT *totally* switched things up today! Lifetime is having this Workout/Weigh-In Competition and SURPRISE! all of the TEAM classes were entered against our will. Here's how it works. You team up (my partner is Stephanie, a woman who was in my last TEAM class, but happened to be there tonight--apparently we are now in it to win it together) and share a treadmill. This is the "home treadmill" where the official time and distance are measured. While one team member is on the treadmill (trying to go as far as possible in two minutes), the other is on an exercise mat doing the dictated exercise. Then you switch. The intervals are two minutes each with an active recovery two minutes after each round. There are five rounds. Winners will be selected by: furthest total distance, most reps and most weight lost.

Here's how it went down for us:

Round 1: incline of 6.0 (I went at a 3.5 pace), squats (I did 60)
Round 2: incline of 8.0 (I went at a 3.5 pace), sit-ups (I did 80)
Round 3: incline of 10.0 (I went at a 3.2 pace), push-ups (I did 35, modified--that was the rule)
Round 4: incline of 12.0 (I went at a 3.2 pace), lunges (I did 40)
Round 5: incline of 15.0 (I went at a 3.0 pace), mountain men (I did 65)

Total Calories Burned: 473 (HR monitor)
Ending HR: 129


I feel like this is great because I have a baseline. The gym will be doing this for 3 months, once a month. I am considering trying to do this regularly (maybe once a week) to 1) prep for the next time; and 2) track my progress.

The active recovery portion was on the treadmills at an incline of 0.0 and speed of 2.0 for 2 minutes. Everyone had to do this to keep the mileage gain identical (as to not skew the furthest distance competition). Two of the people were going faster. So I called them out. First, I called out Larry. Zak the Trainer told him to slow down so he did. Then I called out the woman next to Larry (her name is complicated...I have no idea what it is). She heard me and put a towel over the readout on the treadmill. REALLY!??! I don't think so. So after yelling, "Zak! She's cheating!" and pointing, I yelled out, "Just because you cover it with a towel doesn't make it NOT CHEATING!!!!" Yeah, she must hate me. Am I jerk? I just believe in integrity in competitions involving prizes.

Oh! And for the first day, my team won most reps. No prize. Just street cred...

No comments:

Post a Comment