Friday, July 31, 2009

Zak the Trainer Went to Vegas...

...so we got Melissa as a substitute. Zak the Trainer and Melissa are different. Dare I say I like Melissa better?!?! No...I don't know that I would say that. I think I love them each for different reasons.

When Zak the Trainer is in charge:
+ we can hold onto the treadmill whenever we want (PRO)
+ we climbs bigger longer hills with a 2ish minute break (active recovery in zone 2) in the middle of the hour (CON)
+ we engage in witty banter (PRO)
+ he does push-ups during the mid-hour break for each glass of water we drank the day before (PRO)
+ he's a Yankees fan (CON)


When Melissa is in charge:
+ we cannot hold on ever (CON)
+ we do more interval hills where we return to active recovery in zone 2 frequently (PRO)
+ she gives us ranges for the inclines--e.g. go to an incline of between 8.0 and 10.0...really?!?! I go to 8.0...as does any sane person (CON)
+ we have more of a discussion throughout the class as to how things are going and how we can fix/improve things (PRO)
+ she seems to genuinely care and notice about our weight loss (PRO)


Anyways...one thing Melissa did that I kind of liked and also didn't like (because it messed up my incredibly detailed record-keeping for statistical purposes) is to have us pause the treadmills and do squats and push-ups (which was so long the treadmill timed out and I lost all of my stats...grr...) and at the end we did planks. It is worth noting that I did 10 (modified) push-ups. I was under the impression I couldn't do any. I am very excited about this. I did them quite easily and could probably have done more! YAY to upper body workouts... Also, my planks were modified because of the huge bruise and wound on my forearm from the biking incident...but I rocked them nonetheless, there were 2 for 45 seconds each.

My stats (kind of...):

Calories Burned:582 (HR monitor -- for the entire hour of class)

2nd Treadmill Session:
Calories Burned: 196 (Treadmill)
Total Miles: 1.01
Total Time: 20:32 (including cool down)
Ending Heart Rate: 145 (but we did planks after cool down, so this number is not accurate)


On Monday's weigh-in Zak the Trainer has given us 3 to 1 odds. What this means is that for every pound we lose he will do three push-ups. With claps. Or so I got him to agree too...I have the feeling he will pansy out of the claps part.

Oh! And as a bit of a P.S., I am going to the Red Sox game tomorrow and am headed out early to go to a BBQ at Camden Yards. I am going to eat BBQ food. My goal is to have a small amount that lossely resembles what I should be eating. What this means is if I was planning on having 3 oz of lean protein and 2 pieces of bread, I will have a burger. It's not lean protein. But it is a lot closer than me going crazy and eating whatever the heck I want... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment