Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Sauconys Made Me Do It

Today I decided to go for a walk. It's been over one week since the arm procedure and so I am able to workout again. I am still 4 days shy of the 6 week "No Workout" policy after the tummy tuck, so a walk it was. But...

While getting dressed, I saw them. There, sitting on my floor. All alone. So sad. My running shoes. The silver and teal detailing actually sparkled against the white sneaker backdrop. I even heard a audible *ding*. I thought, "I'll just try them on--make sure they still fit." You know, it's important for my feet to remember what they feel like.

Then, I went to comb my hair and thought that I should *maybe* put it back in pig tails--you know, in case my walk gets vigorous and I want my hair off of my neck. I haven't put it in pigtails since before the surgery. Once they were in and I saw the gleam in my eye and the cute pig tail poofs peeking out from the side of my head it was all over. My decisions were no longer my own: I was going to run. It may not be far. It may not be for long periods of time. But it was happening.

I warmed up with a walk for 5 minutes, then set off running. I ended up going for 30 minutes alternating walking and running in 5 minute intervals. I went 2.37 miles! That's a pace of 12:39 minutes/mile. For walking half of the time, I am SO pleased with that time!!! I went au naturale with no iPod or book to read--just me, my thoughts and a lovely 56° day with a light wind. A little slice of Heaven.

I know it may sound silly to you all, but I had this sort of quiet fear in the back of my head for the last 5 weeks and 3 days that I would lose all stamina, my muscles would all atrophy and I would forget how to exercise, forcing myself to start at square one when I returned. I know, I know, it sounds silly--but it was a real concern of mine!!! 6 weeks is a LONG time. Today's foray into fitness has shown me that my fear was completely unfounded! I am confident that it will take some time, but I *will* get back to where I was sooner than I feared!!! YAY!

You can feel free to yell at me for breaking the 6 week "No Workout" policy, but there's really no point. It already happened. And you know me well enough to know that I'm gonna do what I want regardless.

Also, I couldn't help myself--my running shoes and pig tails made me do it. :)

1 comment:

  1. Glad it went well. Be careful not to overdo it too soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete