Thursday, April 21, 2011

Every New Beginning Comes From Some Other Beginning's End

It's been a deep-in-thought-decisiony-type week. You all read my post from Monday about the changes and information I have been processing now that I am back at the gym. From Monday to Tuesday I thought long and hard about what I want/need to be successful. I came to the conclusion that the sun was setting on my professional training relationship with Devon. For the sake of full disclosure on the blog, here were the key factors in the decision:

Reasons to Stay Training With Devon:
1) Devon is an excellent trainer.
2) Devon is excellent at training me.
3) Devon knows me--the good, the bad and the ugly.
4) I have had 16 months of more or less success with Devon.
5) I like Devon as a person and enjoy spending time training with him.


Reasons to Get a New Trainer:
1) I am the type of person who needs to change things up periodically.
2) I am comfortable with Devon and so do not always heed his advice/respect him. (Read: I can be so whiny and complainy.)
3) I feel that going from the challenge of friend lifting weekly to bi-weekly regular trainer sessions is a step backward for *me*. The reason we started friend lifting in the first place was because I needed to change things up (See reason #1) and this was a great way to do it.
4) The diet support from Devon, although sound and well thought out, is not working for me regularly.


So, I thought about who, if anyone else, I would like to train with. Out of all the lifetime trainers that I know something about there is only one other person I feel has the same knowledge and expertise that Devon does: The One. The Only. Hard Core Liz.


Check out those shoulder muscles...Wowsas!!!

So, some of you may recall that HCL once told me (and several of my friends at various other times) that she would (and I quote) never train me. So, when I called her on Tuesday to broach the subject I informed her that I did, in fact, know what that meant, but also wanted to know if she would consider changing her mind. I truly believe that if I try to pull any monkey business by way of not giving it my all or having a bad attitude, she WILL drop me as a client. I have no doubt about that. I feel that fear will motivate me to bring it the same way friend lifting did with Devon. I knew I had to step up on those days because I wasn't paying him and so if I was not bringing it, he could end the fun at any moment. And I brought it. Every time.

On Wednesday, I called Devon and discussed my thought process with him. He was very supportive. He said that my needs are changing and he likened it to me saying: Devon, I want to be trained in Pilates. Devon doesn't do Pilates so of course I would go to someone else. He says this is the same thing. I told him "It's not you, it's me" and (unlike times I have used this line in the past) I meant it. Devon agreed that HCL was the best choice for me and told me I can still come to him with questions and stuff. How sweet. He even said he was going to have a meeting with HCL to fill her in on his lessons learned with me. :)

That brings me to today. I met with HCL to discuss my needs/wants and her stance on my attitude. We talked about goals and my emotional eating. We planned our way ahead. I'm VERY excited for this new beginning. My first session with HCL will be the first week I can lift again, on Tuesday, May 3rd. Mark your calendars, friends. I think this will be a good post. :) I am growing up and becoming a big girl and writing my own workouts!!!! No more daily workouts from Devon. In the beginning I will send them to Liz when I am done and she will tell me if I am not working hard enough or whatever. Also, Liz is making me write down EVERYTHING I eat starting today, this morning actually. Not fair making me go back in time to when I ate a whole container of chocolates for breakfast. But I did it. Because she told me to. :)

After signing paperwork to ensure Liz will get paid for our sessions, I did my cardio. Today I did 30 minutes on the treadmill with 3 minute intervals at inclines from 3 to 6 to 9 to 6 to 3 to 6 etc... The uphill battle cardio (shortened version) from before. I went the whole time at a speed of 3.5 mph. It was challenging but doable--the way every workout should be. :)

Next workout: Saturday? Sunday? Whatevs. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment